PDA

View Full Version : steering bracket

siii8873
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I pulled my steering column apart today (69 IIA). Something looks odd. Between the column bracket and bracket attached to the bulkhed there is a plate with holes that match bolt pattern but only one (see attached picture) Seems to me there would be two or none. Anyone know if this is correct or should there be two of these.

JackIIA
12-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Mine is a 1970 IIA 88. I don't recognize that particular setup. Attached is a pic of mine, though I haven't scaled it down, so depending on your browser, you may need to scroll across the shot.

Edit - just reread your question. No, I don't have that plate on mine, nor did I have it on my early IIA for what it's worth.

siii8873
12-04-2010, 07:11 PM
that does look like a different assembly. My clamping assembly looked like this before disassembled. Your assembly looks closer to a SIII one.

greenmeanie
12-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Look at where the center line of the seat is relative to the center of the steering wheel boss. That plate angles the column inwards slightly to line up with the driver's position. You are driving a finely tuned piece of precision ergonomics.

The brackets you have are common on late IIAs.