PDA

View Full Version : electric vs. mechanical fuel pump

cousindave
12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Well, looks like I have to replace my electric fuel pump. The series III is running on a purolator 42 s solid state electric fuel pump and weber 32/36 dgv carb. Since the pump is on the way out, I was wondering if i should replace the pump with a new mechanical pump or replace it with another electric pump.

stomper
12-05-2010, 01:45 PM
There are people who will advise you both ways on this one. It seems that there is a bad batch of mechanical pumps that was being reported on here a few months ago. Since it is already wired for the electric, why not go that route, unless you want to keep everything original.

kevin-ct
12-05-2010, 02:03 PM
There are people who will advise you both ways on this one. It seems that there is a bad batch of mechanical pumps that was being reported on here a few months ago. Since it is already wired for the electric, why not go that route, unless you want to keep everything original.

what he said....X2

73series88
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
i would leave it electric
i think i had one of those bad pumps
threw in a inline and never looked back
has never ran so good (knock knock)
of the shelf at advanced auto.
aaron

someone had told me that on some old series the fuel got through to the lobe and actually wore it down to the point where it wasnt adaquately moving the mechanical pump enough to supply the engine and would starve out.

dont know if thats actually possable or not but it sounds good.

cousindave
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, I replaced the fuel pump with a mr. Gasket 42s and the series three never started or ran better. Now if I could only figure out this overheating problem. For anyone who is installing an electric pump: install an inline fuel filter before the pump,mount it as low and as close to the tank as possible, and mount the pump on a 45° angle where the outlet is facing up, and don it mount pump in the engine bay. When I found the old electric pump behind the splash guard with only one very loose bolt holding it 2 inches above the top of the fuel tank. Also this pump had been mounted without an inline fuel filter. Crud from a previously rotten tank had ruined the electric pump. Hope this helps for anyone thinking of installing an electric pump. Thanks for all that helped diagnose the faulty fuel pump!!

mongoswede
12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
have you swapped in a new thermostat and checked to see if the water pump is pumping?

cousindave
12-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks Mongoswede for the suggestion. I think this is a case of faulty gauge sending unit or wire.

printjunky
12-10-2010, 04:08 PM
On the overheat, also consider too-advanced timing. Mine gets wicked hot if it's even a little ahead. All kinds of dieseling, and overheating, low power, etc.

Also, it runs hot if the carb is running too lean. (likely a float level adjustment)