PDA

View Full Version : I think I broke my starter

cgalpin
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Before I pull the starter I'd like to get opinions in case my diagnosis is wrong. This is a suffix C series 2a, which is now negative earth.

While installing a shiny new exhaust I noticed the positive cable to the starter was loose. This is the only cable that goes to the rear of the starter from the starter switch, not counting a ground strap on one of the rear starter housing bolts.

I have occasionally gotten a click on start and figured this was the culprit so I proceeded to tighten it. I don't know how far I turned it before realizing, but the whole stud was moving so I removed the outer nut and cable, tightened the inner nut and then reinstalled the cable.

When I went to start it, i might have gotten an initial click, but after that nothing. There are signs of the ground cable heating up at the battery negative terminal.

I think by turning the stud, something has moved internally causing a short inside the starter. I wanted to make sure the cable wasn't just touch the casing so I removed it to add a bigger spacer, and with the cable off I checked for voltage at the starter side of the switch, and get 12v when the switch is pressed. After re-connecting the cable, making sure there is no way there is an external short, I used jumper cables to apply 12v to the starter side of the start switch and just get a spark, so I think it's still grounded.

Agree? Any other test I should do? I assume apply 12v directly to the starter stud, but there isn't a lot of clearance there. I might as well pull the starter at this point.

Anyone have a picture of the inside of the starter at the rear? The repair manual doesn't show how the stud is connected internally.

Oh, and is it a bad idea to run without the starter (use hand crank) while taking care of fixing it?

tia,
charles

73series88
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
i had done something very close to what you explain
i had tightened the pos post and snapped the internal line that fed the coils. ocasionally they would make contact and work but eventually it got to the point where it gave up the ghost.
one of the best things ive bought for my series is a gear reduction starter.
way more cranking power and it doesnt get hot and crap out on you intil it cools. if its your starter i would highly sugest one
aaron

LaneRover
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Spinning that bolt does break an internal wire.

stomper
12-05-2010, 06:02 PM
If a gear reduction starter is out of your price range, I had my starter rebuilt by a local guy who only charged me $60. Just find a local auto electritian who rebuilds starters and alternators.

cgalpin
12-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys. I decided to pull it and take a look. No time like the present. I found the post was still secure, but that a little non-conducting spacer between the post and the rear cover was split so I think I just pulled the post into contact with the cover (the looseness before is what prevented it touching). I put the outer non-conductive washer in place of it, and a cb-antennae spacer I had lying around on the outside and it works like a champ!

I have included a picture of the culprit.

thanks,
charles

LaneRover
12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Thats great! Congrats on opening it up and finding what was wrong!

Brent

SafeAirOne
12-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Congrats on opening it up and finding what was wrong!

Yes. I hate to see people spend $200 to replace a part they could have fixed for $0.39 had they just investigated the issue fully.

I always figure that I aint going to make the thing any "broker" if I take it apart and see what's going on inside.

Nice Job!

LaneRover
12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I always figure that I aint going to make the thing any "broker" if I take it apart and see what's going on inside.

You haven't?!? I certainly have! Of course that hasn't stopped me from trying!

RoverForm
12-05-2010, 10:34 PM
i definitely make things "broker" when i take them apart.

Rineheitzgabot
12-06-2010, 06:28 AM

It is a rare occasion that I don't make something more "broker" upon opening it up. In fact, I can't remember a time when I haven't.

Terrys
12-06-2010, 06:45 AM

That made me laugh. Still, I'm the same way. Sometimes I can save it, Sometimes I just look and say "Yup, it's deffinately broken now"

cgalpin
12-06-2010, 07:04 AM
LOL. Agreed!

But I wasn't rough with it when I tightened the post so I figured it had to be something simple, and everything was fine beforehand.

lrdukdog
12-06-2010, 07:43 AM
i definitely make things "broker" when i take them apart.

That is unless there is a spring that flies off into never never find it land :)
Jim Wolf