X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siii8873
    Overdrive
    • Jul 2007

traction enhancement

I'm considering upgrading my rear diff with a limited slip or locker of some sort. Right now I am leaning toward a detriot locker or tru trac.
    I would like to know everyones opinion on their experience with either of these, good / bad, on/off road.
    Thanks
    Bob
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT
  • Firemanshort
    2nd Gear
    • Nov 2006

Bob -

Look here.... http://www.maritimerovers.org/smf/in...p?topic=2689.0

Video and discussion with vendor identified.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Comment

• I Leak Oil
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

Either unit is good but both will give you different handling characteristics. The pros and cons have been debated to death on the 'net. Either one will be a nice upgrade over the stock rover POS carrier. Of the two, I'd go with the tru-trac if you're not upgrading the shafts or don't do much trail riding.
      Disclaimer. See your mechanic for enhanced traction devices lasting more than 4 hours!
      Jason
      "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• TeriAnn
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Going to either a trutrac or a detroit locker is going to put additional stress on those already pathetically weak 10 spline axles.

I'd suggest you take the opportunity to get a set of 24 spline rear axles & the 24 spline version of whichever carrier you choose.
        -

Teriann Wakeman_________
        Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• RoverForm
          3rd Gear
          • Jul 2010

i don't know what it is, but i'm really into:

a) those tires
          b) the sound of that 300Di

Comment

• LR Max
            3rd Gear
            • Feb 2010

I've got a Detroit locker in the rear of my 109. All I can say is its COMPLETELY AWESOME.

Off road, there is no substitute (well, I guess an ARB or welded diff can be a substitute but same idea) for a full locker. It just works and the capabilities of the truck will be transformed.

On road I noticed a difference when I first installed, but now I'm used to it. Every once in a while (like, every other month) it'll pop. All it does is make a loud sound, nothing else. In comparison, I've seen the unlocking throw a jeep over into another lane.

You'll be satisfied with the detroit. It'll perform amazingly well and you might as well go all the way if you are gonna tear apart your rear axle.

X2 on the 24 spline or do a Salisbury swap. The Salisbury swap might be cheaper considering a Salisbury Detroit is cheaper than a rover style Detroit (and you don't have to replace the carrier, no gear reset, and no need to convert to 24 spline because it already has it!!). Beefy ring gear, the works.

And yes, I've broken 2 axle shafts in my Salisbury. Except for the axles, no other damage was incurred.

Comment

• TedW
              5th Gear
              • Feb 2007

Dumb question time:

Isn't a Detroit locker and a trutrac the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

Which would be better for someone (that would be me) who plans to install a Salisbury rear and who does most of his driving in snow and on road, with occasional off-road forays?

Is it worth the expense to install a front one as well?

Thanks - Ted

Comment

• LaneRover
                Overdrive
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by TedW
                Isn't a Detroit locker and a trutrac the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

Which would be better for someone (that would be me) who plans to install a Salisbury rear and who does most of his driving in snow and on road, with occasional off-road forays?

Is it worth the expense to install a front one as well?

Thanks - Ted
                IMHO with the occasional off-roading and snow I think it would not be worth the expense of putting one in the front axle. I do not have the experience with them to tell you which would be better in the Salisbury axle.
                1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• AU_88
                  1st Gear
                  • Nov 2010

I may be a little off, but a detroit is a locking diff, and I believe it's locked all the time, so when you drive on-road your rear tires will chirp. The tru-trac is a limited slip diff, and basically aids with traction as necessary but isn't locked and will be better on road. I have ARB air lockers on my discovery which can be turned on an off, they are more expensive, but really nice. Hopefully someone else can give you a better explanation.
                  WAR EAGLE!

65 IIa 88
                  95 RRC 25th Anniversary
                  98 Discovery LE7
                  00 DII (Sold)

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

Yeah a Detroit Locker is a locker. A "Detroit" Truetrac is a limited slip that does NOT use clutches like more common limited slips but uses helical gears kind of like a Gleason Torsen differential does.

If you are into more ******** 2 wheels in the air type offroading a ARB or Detroit Locker or the Toyota E locker swap would be worth looking into. I honestly think the Truetrac makes more sense for most people with Series Rovers.
                    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• mongoswede
                      5th Gear
                      • May 2010

a popular combination is to run a true locking diff in the rear (air or electric)...so when its locked its like having a solid axle and when its not its open and freewheels like stock. Then run a limited slip in the front. The crazy offroad rigs usually run lockers in the front, rear, and in the transfer case if its not already built in...or they swap in a lockable transfer case.

Just keep in mind that limited slips and lockers will put a lot more strain on the rest of your drive train...so make sure your axles, Ring and Pinion, diff carrier, carrier bearings etc are all in good condition...probably be a good idea to carry a few spare axles shafts and magnet to help remove broken bits.

Comment

• siii8873
                        Overdrive
                        • Jul 2007

I do not understand the need for a transfer case locker, what does that change? is there a slip between front and rear wheels with standard transefer box.
                        THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
                        THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
                        THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
                        THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
                        THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
                        THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• KevinNY
                          4th Gear
                          • Oct 2006

Your series transfer case is always locked when in 4wd. Vehicles like a Discovery are permanent 4wd and need the ability to slip the center diff for dry pavement use but can lock it for off highway use.
                          The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• NickDawson
                            5th Gear
                            • Apr 2009

forgive the hijack - have also been eyeing the truetracks and have recently developed some slop in the rear diff that makes me worried it is on the way out.

As I understand it, series IIIs have salisbury axles, complete with 24 splines, right? Does that mean I'd order a salisbury locker? Trying to figure out which model...

Comment

• Cutter
                              4th Gear
                              • Feb 2009

I think only on the 109s

Comment

Working...