PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Overflow ?

Burlsube
12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I just replaced my SIIa's fluids and started tracking down leaks. I noticed that after the last few drives there is some coolant around the drivers side wheel. It looks like it is coming from the coolant over flow. The truck isnt running hot usually 1/2 to 3/4 at the hottest.

Coolant and oil look clear. The PO put a 15-18 lbs cap in it. I think stock was a little lower.

The head gasket was replaced about 100 miles ago after I replaced a stuck valve.

Should I be concerned or chalk it up to an over filled radiator?

SafeAirOne
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, It's almost winter. The colder the ambient temperature of the coolant when you fill the reservior, the more the coolant will expand when it warms up to operating temp.

Do you use an expansion tank or just a straight drain tube? I don't know for sure, but I suspect even the coldest coolant would not be able to expand enough to completely fill an empty overflow tank then outvent, but I could see it easily happening in a straight vent tube situation.

I should have paid more attention in high school chemistry--I'm pretty sure we covered something like this 25 years ago...

Burlsube
12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks. It is a straight vent out.

I just ran the truck with the rad. cap off and I didnt see any evidence of air bubbles in the radiator. Both hoses are also hot.