PDA

View Full Version : Seat track question

John O from Jersey
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Has anyone ever taken apart one of the Deluxe Seat Tracks? I'm talking about these:
http://www.roversdownsouth.com/images/body/STC3082B.JPG

I'd like to know if it's possible get them to slide forward more - like by removing a pin or something.

No - I'm not extremely short. I just installed a set of Bestop seats on top of them and if I could allow the driver seat to slide forward about another 5-6 inches, I would be able to access the box underneath. Otherwise that becomes dead space since the Bestops don't have lift-out seat bases.

Any experience appreciated!

Thx

JO

siiirhd88
12-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't know about the seat track, but I had Dedender style seat in the 109 that didn't have removable seat bottoms. I cut an opening into the side of the seat box to access the storage area, and covered the edge with a piece of slit vacuum tubing. I figured I could always make a cover with latch, but I haven't needed it yet.

Bob

John O from Jersey
12-06-2010, 09:06 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea - I can see a piano hinge and some kind of stainless latch at the top. That will be my fall back if I can't make the tracks extend. Looks like you have carpet in there - that's another ideal I'll be stealing :-)

Thanks!

JO

Les Parker
12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I fitted a pair of these to get the seat above the lip on the rear bed:-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-17059-exmoor-trim-seat-riser-set-for-one-seat-defender.aspx

greenmeanie
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
...and combining all these ideas into one truck we have:
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4316&stc=1&d=1291671573http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4318&stc=1&d=1291672140

These are Bestop Trailmax Pro seats using adapter plates to mount to the original Land Rover sliding seat rails. The adapter has the advantage that it allows you to center the seat on the steering wheel and it also lifts the seat high enough to clear the flange at the rear of the seat box giving an extra inch or two of leg room. It wasn't cheap but makes for very comfortable seating.

I cut an access hole in the side of the seat box and made a simple cover secured using quarter turn fasteners. In my case I used this space for my electric bay so the hole gives my access to my Painless fuse panel and a connection to talk to the ECU. I have dual batteries installed under the passenger seat.

In answer to the original question you can remove the roll pins in the seat rail to give more travel but it is a bad idea. In the event of a crash the only thing preventing the seat from sliding forward into the dash is the adjustment pall and your kneecaps.

siiirhd88
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Its not carpet in the box, it is a 'diamond plate' piece of rubber runner mat from McMaster-Carr. The mat is not glued down and is easily removed for cleaning. I use the mat for floor and bed mats and on other flat surfaces, and keep a chunk around for crawling under the trucks both outside and in the garage.

I like the idea of using the space for the main electrical bus.

I thought about adding a door using the typical seat box latch but found the latch would likely be a pants grabber. A simple flush type Dzus aircraft panel latch would work excellent.

Bob

That's actually a pretty good idea - I can see a piano hinge and some kind of stainless latch at the top. That will be my fall back if I can't make the tracks extend. Looks like you have carpet in there - that's another ideal I'll be stealing :-)

Thanks!

JO

John O from Jersey
12-06-2010, 05:14 PM
OK - I'm now sold on the side door. Think I might use a 1ft piano hinge and something like this 2x3" latch: http://www.tool-boxes.net/buyersjuniorsizestainlesssteelflushpaddlelatchfits 234inx334inrecess-p-159.html though I do like the simplicity of your door set-up Greeneanie.

My adapter is remarkably close to yours but maybe not as elaborate. I have the same plate over the original seat rails with two pieces of 1/2" box channel stock between the Bestop seats and the plate. That leaves just enough room to mount the plate (and seat assembly) to the rails and raises the seat just enough to clear the little lip at the back. I'll have to shoot some pics before I reassemble.

Thanks everybody!

JO

John O from Jersey
12-06-2010, 05:17 PM
PS

Greenmeanie - if you don't mind my asking - what kind of quarter turn fasteners did you use on that hatch????

JO

greenmeanie
12-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Moroso. I got them at the local hot rod shop but I think you can get them from Summit et al. I still have a bag of them but I'm not on that continent anymore.

Winston-Rover
12-08-2010, 03:43 PM
The adapter has the advantage that it allows you to center the seat on the steering wheel and it also lifts the seat high enough to clear the flange at the rear of the seat box giving an extra inch or two of leg room...

Looks like you moved your seat more toward the center. Where you still able to fit the 12.5" wide Tuffy console or did you go with the narrower console?

greenmeanie
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
10" Tuffy. I used a 12.5" one in my 88 and while it fitted the gap it was a pain with the seat belt stalks. The 10" wide one is plenty big.