PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever epoxy the inside of fuel tank?

SeriesShorty
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I did one of my tanks last year and stored it in the basement for the last 15 months or so. Went to install it today, reached in to make sure nothing fell into it while in storage, and out comes handfuls of flaked epoxy. :mad: A flashlight revealed a very fine layer of fresh rust most of the way 'round where the epoxy had flaked off.

I was careful with my prep work but obviously not careful enough.

I have another epoxy kit in the basement that I was going to use on the other tank, but wonder if it's even worth trying again. Not sure whether I want to give it another shot, try something else, or just leave it at is and let the inline filters catch any rust particles.

Any words of wisdom?

Rineheitzgabot
12-06-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't know what the tank looks like, and how bad of shape it is in, but judging that you felt strongly enough about it at one time to try and coat it, I would say that it is bad enough to replace.

If money is an issue, then take time and budget for a new tank. Many actual and potential problems averted.

Our hosts offer a nice one for a fair price.

-Gary

yank
12-06-2010, 07:46 AM
I did mine with a kit from East Wood. I would buy a new tank if I could do it over again. I spent half the cost of a new one in supplies. I'm sure I have at least 6 hours into it. Also I have a nice epoxy spot in the driveway now.

SeriesShorty
12-07-2010, 08:53 AM
The drivers side tank isn't that bad, the passenger side tank is just a light surface rust. The passenger tank is the one that I epoxied since it wasn't needed at the time and it sounded like a good idea while it was already out. Military tanks are $400!

Anyone know if the regular 88" tanks fit under the seats without frame/outrigger modifications, etc? I know the filler neck would have to be relocated, which is good...the military fuel filling method is not very convenient. ;)

stomper
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
didn't Jac04 have 2 almost new millitary tanks he was looking to unload?