PDA

View Full Version : parabolic suspension

rickv100
12-06-2010, 08:06 AM
It appears that the truck I purchased has a parabolic suspension fitted.

From what I understand that improves the ride of the Land Rover but what does it do to the load carrying capabilities of the truck?

Rick

rejeep
12-06-2010, 08:11 AM
brings it down from factory...

TedW
12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
How many leaves front and back?

LR Max
12-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Its fine.

I've hauled A LOT of crap in the back of my 109 (has 3 leaf rears) with no issues.

Towed a Nissan 240SX with it. Suspension did fine, engine ran outta juice at around 50 mph.

Years ago I filled the bed full of canned goods during "Scouting for food" (imagine a 2 door 109 with cans full of food piled up to the galvy caps). Now THAT was a lot of weight. I felt it back there but no problems.

Numerous times I've hauled a load of wood, steel, whatevs.

Generally I run outta engine before I run outta suspension :thumb-up:

rickv100
12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the information, I have a 3 leaf parabolics on the front and rear of the 109.

Rick

SafeAirOne
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Overloading them on smooth road is one thing. Overloading them off-road is a completely different matter.

disco2hse
12-06-2010, 11:42 PM
There is only one reason that having parabolics might lower your carrying capacity from factory and that is if you have springs that are designed to carry less weight.

Three leaf springs, if they are rocky mountain, should be about the same or better than factory. But like any springs, they may sag over time and if you load them heavily they may be forced to sag. But like any leaf spring they can be reset.

Stories of them providing a much better ride onroad are equalised by stories of their being too bouncy. There are many variables. One thing they do tend to provide however is better articulation because there is less metal to move and distort and there is less friction between the leaves when compared with standard springs.

I have heard of many stories of leaves breaking off-road or when under excess load, or both. Not only on Landies but all makes. This is why certain brands have military loops on the outer leaf. In the event that a leaf breaks the loop should at least hold it together.