PDA

View Full Version : 1993 RRC reverse lights not working

SkinlessFrank
12-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi all - RRC newbie here - I just got a 1993 RR last weekend and have to rush to get it on the road (see: "DD Mercedes 300D transmission dead"). I have everything up, running, mostly aligned, checked and ready for state inspection EXCEPT for the reverse lights. [ok - the engine is idling high, but that can be dealt with later].

I verified good bulbs, clean contacts, good fuses & I can (obviously) start the engine. My thinking is that there is an issue with the reverse light switch on the tranny (automatic).

Is there a fix/solution besides buying the $80 part? Also, is there a "good" way to access this - I understand that it is on the RH side of the tranny in a hard to reach place.

Any advice/guidance/recommendations encouraged.

Thanks,
Sean

Ed*
12-11-2010, 04:31 PM
are you geting a good ground? my lights gave me tons of trouble once due to a bad ground.

SkinlessFrank
12-28-2010, 01:45 PM
are you geting a good ground? my lights gave me tons of trouble once due to a bad ground.

Everything else in the taillight cluster is A-OK...I haven't ripped it apart to verify every wire. It seems odd to me that it would be a ground on BOTH sides & only for the reverse light.

Is there a way to bypass the reverse cut-out in the transmission to test the cluter? Or am I better off shelling out the $150-175 to just replace the thing and get it over with?

- S