PDA

View Full Version : winter projects to take on vs avoid

kwd509
12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
UNtil I have a work space I am identifying things that can be done inside and in comfort, and am building a nice pile of things to tinker with. When I removed the pedal brackets, pedals and hydraulics I was immediately struck by rust and pitting on the brackets themselves.

At first I began to anticipate a full breakdown to remove everything from brackets for cleaning and painting. But now I realize that the pedal assembly and associated bushings are mechanically quite fine- and look like they could go years/decades more. They were likely not touched since the factory and now I suspect that I'm going to spoil something that doesn't need fixing and is actually quite nice, simply for the purpose of getting the bracket thoroughly painted. And it would be more work......

Now, the brackets themselves do show a moderate amount of pitting (particularly where it meets the bulkhead) and therefore deserve/need some treatment. But would dissassembling pedals create more problems?
what is the happy medium on this?

jac04
12-07-2010, 08:13 AM
The pedal assemblies are quite simple. Mine came apart easily, allowing sandblasting & repainting of all parts. However, many people find that the pivot pins will not came out without a major battle. I say try taking them apart and see what happens.

morgant
12-11-2010, 10:23 AM
The pedal assemblies are quite simple. Mine came apart easily, allowing sandblasting & repainting of all parts. However, many people find that the pivot pins will not came out without a major battle. I say try taking them apart and see what happens.

The only question I still have on disassembling my pedal assembly is whether the end of the pivot shaft that had a pin driven through it is just a cap that is supposed to pull out from that end or whether you drive it through from that end. Or, do you drive it out from the end that's tapped?