PDA

View Full Version : Hard start/No start when cold

Burlsube
12-07-2010, 11:09 PM
For some reason when it gets below 45 the truck doesn't want to start. As soon as the temps go up it will start on one or two turns.

I recently replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and points. The carb/idle was set using a gas analyzer at local garage. I also retimed it after I replaced the points.

I am running a Zenith carb with 10w30 oil and the stock fuel pump. The battery is a few years old.

If I am persistent I can eventually get it turn over and them I'm all set for the day.

What did I miss? :confused:

SafeAirOne
12-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Is the choke operating correctly?

mongoswede
12-08-2010, 07:23 AM
For some reason when it gets below 45 the truck doesn't want to start. As soon as the temps go up it will start on one or two turns.

I recently replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and points. The carb/idle was set using a gas analyzer at local garage. I also retimed it after I replaced the points.

I am running a Zenith carb with 10w30 oil and the stock fuel pump. The battery is a few years old.

If I am persistent I can eventually get it turn over and them I'm all set for the day.

need some clarification on the orange bit. Are you saying that when its below 45 degree Fahrenheit that the engine won't even turn over?

amcordo
12-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Start with the simplest thing: battery. If it's a few years old it could be getting tired. Make sure you're choking it and giving it a few good pumps of gas before trying to start it. Is your engine oil clean & thin? Could be getting extra friction in there.

I've got a different motor in mine, but I've got it down to a system. Pull the choke the whole way out before climbing in. Pump the gas pedal ten times. Push the gas pedal in just a bit. Turn it over.

LaneRover
12-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Also, double check all your battery to starter electrical connections. Clean your battery posts etc . . .

I agree that it could be the battery but I would check all the connections first.

Burlsube
12-08-2010, 08:47 AM
By turn over I mean fully start. Generally, in the cold it will almost start but ends up giving a few coughs and then dying.

I'll give my battery and connections a good check.

I'm confident the choke works since when it does start I need to choke it to keep it running.

Maybe I havent been aggressive enough by giving it enough gas when starting up for fear of flooding the engine. My process has been choke all the way out and two pumps of gas, then try to start it.

LaneRover
12-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Turnover = spinning

Usually if it isn't turning over then it isn't spinning.

It sounds like your issue is not the engine being spun by the starter. The engine spins but doesn't start correct?

Checking and cleaning contacts is always a good thing to do but I think it may be down to a different process of choke, pumps and so on to start it when it is colder.

Burlsube
12-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I can hear the starter spinning. I'll try a different process of choking it and see if that does the trick.

tmckeon88
12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Another thing that might help is to put in some dry gas (isopropyl alcohol or the equivalent) next time you fill up. If there's any water in the fuel lines it can freeze and act as another hindrance to starting. Check plug wires too, to make sure the plugs are getting spark? Do you have an clear inline fuel filter attached near the carb? That's good to check to see if the carb is getting fuel as you crank it.

I am blessed in that my 69 IIA starts like you're flipping a switch; in the cold, it cranks only once or twice and then catches. I have a Weber single barrel and the stock (newer) distributor set up.

Tom

artpeck
12-11-2010, 07:55 AM
I had a very similar issue on my truck assuming what you mean is that it cranks but doesn't catch and start. Symptoms in mine were below 45 or 50 I would have to crank it over and over, it would catch and then die out. Finally would barely start but when warm was fine. After checking many things I looked to make sure the choke was working and lo and behold it was catching and not closing or closing fully. Used some stabil to clean it out, lube the hing and spring with some wd40 and now it starts on the second or third turn of the engine even in cold and after sitting for a week or two.

Donnie
12-13-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm with Lane Rover on this one if I understand your problem...Batt connections - at all 4 ends....If U pull the coil wire out of the dist & connect it to a spark plug & ground the plug, that is lay it on the head..a good battery should crank the engine for at least 20 seconds @ 30 degrees. If it is dragging look at the batt. condition..or starter draw. any shop should have a 20 dollar meter that U hold on the starter wire & have someone crank it over, U can then read the starter draw in amps & compare with the spec in the book