PDA

View Full Version : 4L60E In a Land Rover

amcordo
12-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi all,

Anyone here ever put a 4L60E in their rover? Seen it done? The teardown has begun!

Thanks.

Tim Smith
12-09-2010, 07:00 PM
You will have to post up and let us know how it goes. Are you driving it with a 2.25? Should be interesting.

EDIT: Oh. Just saw your sig. You have a v8 in there already. Still would like to see the T-case adapter.

Donnie
12-10-2010, 08:38 AM
You will have to post up and let us know how it goes. Are you driving it with a 2.25? Should be interesting.

EDIT: Oh. Just saw your sig. You have a v8 in there already. Still would like to see the T-case adapter.
Tim, I guess you are aware of the electronics involved with the 4l60-E---compared to the 4L60.....What year & size engine are you running? There is some after mkt. controller for this app...Let me know if you need any info.........Don.....you running 4:88's gearing?

amcordo
12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Tim, I guess you are aware of the electronics involved with the 4l60-E---compared to the 4L60.....What year & size engine are you running? There is some after mkt. controller for this app...Let me know if you need any info.........Don.....you running 4:88's gearing?

Tim: I'll let you know about the adapters I use. I'm hoping I won't have to make a custom one. I'm excited about this because the adapter that would work for this would open the door to most of GMs modern line of transmissions and therefor engines.

I'm pulling an i5 out of a Hummer H3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine#LLR) already mated with its 4L60E. The computer will need to be flashed to disable extra features. Gearing - I need to look back through my notes. The PO replaced the gears in the transfer case with Ashcrofts, but I'm not sure which kit he used.

TeriAnn
12-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Tim: I'll let you know about the adapters I use. I'm hoping I won't have to make a custom one.

Don't you guys ever browse through my web site? Advance Adapters now makes adapters to go between common US top loader light truck gearboxes and a Series transfercase. I have a web page that give an overview of the adapters. (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/advance_Adapter.htm) The Series LR transfercase is still one of the strongest if not the strongest light truck transfercases out there. Advance adapters offer their adapters as an upgrade for the Land Cruiser folks who brake their transfercases and can not afford an Orion.

The PO replaced the gears in the transfer case with Ashcrofts, but I'm not sure which kit he used.

There is only one. The Ashcroft high ratio Transfer case kit:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/images/uploads/hrtc3.JPG

The kit raises the high range ratio so that it is a 0.87:1 overdrive and not the underdrive 1.15:1 stock ratio. It leaves your low range ratios the same.

It is similar to having a 3.54:1 R&P in high range and 4.7:1 R&P in low range.

Too tall for Series rigs with stock engines but really nice for those of us with V8 conversions.

If it is of interest to anyone thinking of a conversion, my drive train has a close ration NP-435 gearbox coupled to a Series transfercase with Ashcroft high ratio modified transfercase. Low range first is 50:1 at the axle (stock is 40:1) and with 33 inch tyres I see 65 MPH at 2650 RPM.

LR Max
12-10-2010, 11:52 AM
For the price of an adapter, why don't you just put an American transfer case on the trans?

4L60E is a solid trans. I recommend looking into a shift kit while you've got it out and maybe putting a 4L65E torque converter in there while you are at it.

Also why the I-5? I know plenty of owners who have told me that the I-5 have no get up compared to the V6 it replaced.

mongoswede
12-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't you guys ever browse through my web site? .

If it makes you feel better I browse through it all the time....its one of the best sites out there for series rover info :thumb-up:

amcordo
12-10-2010, 01:38 PM
I love your website. Problem is i didnt / dont understand that the 4L60e has the same patterns as other xmissions ou mention on there. Can you clarify: will that adapter plate work for the 4L60e?

As to why the i5 Im not looking for a ton of power. That engine is reasonably reliable, very clean burning, quite powerful for the gas use, and compact. Its going to fit great. My current engine has another 40 bhp and it is way overkill.

greenmeanie
12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
There is only one. The Ashcroft high ratio Transfer case kit:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/images/uploads/hrtc3.JPG

The high ratio kit sold by BP is made by Allmakes.

Tim Smith
12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Oh TeriAnn, you know I still read your site whenever I need to drive, wrench on or kiss my truck. :D

Shannon.cummins
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I have an adapter for sale that will mate the GM trans to the LT230 transfer case. $800, it's brand new and never been used. They go for $1100