PDA

View Full Version : overheating?

cousindave
12-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Does any one know the symptoms of a faulty voltage stabilizer? Today the temperature gauge started climbing slowly and stopped at the red. I felt thebad hoses and didn't feel hot. I opens the rad and it was full of antifreeze. Stuck my finger in it and antifreeze felt warm at best. I ask about the voltage stabilizer because this all started after attempting to reconnect fuel gauge that has not been working since I purchased the series III. Wth a test light I have power coming out of stabilizer into fuel gauge but no power out of the fuel gauge. Thanks all!!

Terrys
12-09-2010, 06:42 AM
You should have 10 volts to ground from the output of the stabilizer.

cousindave
12-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Could a bad voltage stabilizer explain the temp gauge reading in the red?

SafeAirOne
12-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Could a bad voltage stabilizer explain the temp gauge reading in the red?

The more the temp sender on the engine heats up, the more electricity it lets "flow" through the meter, so...

The more electricity "flows" through the gauge, the hotter it indicates...

Ergo, a stabilizer that lets too high a voltage through to the gauges will cause high readings on the temp sender.

Probably just be easier to get a voltmeter and check for more than 10v continuously between the light green wire on the stabilizer and ground as Jason mentioned earlier.

Your symptoms could also be caused by a short between the green w/blue wire coming from tha gauge to the sender and ground.

knac1234
12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Cousindave-

I had the same issue when I bought my S3 a few months back. It was not overheating (tested a temp gun all over and it was cool as a cucumber!).

Long story short:

-Voltage stabiliser was my first guess, as both the temp and fuel guage read high.

-After replacing that, my fuel guage was good, but the temp still high. After trying 2 spare guages, and both reading high, the guage was not the issue.

-I replaced the temp sending unit and cleaned and literally checked every interior wire for chafing (and the whole sending unit wire). Then replaced every terminal. Maybe overkill, but now I know everything is clean and right and matches the wiring diagram.:thumb-up:

Works now!

Hope the suggestions help. As a newbie with Series Rovers, I wanted to contribute something helpful to the board :D

Julian