PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues 02 Discovery

epearso
12-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Several weeks ago my horn apparently shorted out and stuck blaring in the car park. I disconnected the battery and pulled the fuse for the horn. Once I reconnected the battery and replaced the fuse, which did not blow, I noticed several electrical systems that did not work:

Front fog lights
Front wipers
Rear wipers
Rear wiper washer
Radio
Heated seats
Console cigarette lighter

I have checked each fuse in the engine, under the steering column, under each seat, and none appear to have blown.

All wires coming into the passenger footwell through the firewall appear fine, nothing appears pinched.

I am at a loss. Please help!

Thanks--Erik in Colorado

Urban Panzer
12-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi,

All those items are controlled by the IDM (intelligent driver module) and the BCU (Body control unit). The IDM is an "integral" part of the interior fusebox.

I would suggest you disconnect the battery and start by removing the interior fusebox and having a close look at the back of it (printed circuit board), the windscreens are known to leak and this drops onto the IDM and can short out parts of it, usual indications of this are items like you describe "messing about" or packing up all together.

Leaking windscreens on the other side can also affect the BCU, thats located on the opposite side behind the glovebox, there you will find a few ECU's mounted together, have a look at their plugs etc, make sure they are all dry and corrosion free and connected properly as well.