PDA

View Full Version : question on thermostat gauges

glbft1
12-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Hello all
Was installing my thermostat in my 109 and had placed the extra one in with my stuff from the P.O got them mixed up and decided to read the bottom of them two say 82 stamped in the brass the other says I believe 98 so installed that one for winter am I correct in this or is there a another way to tell what temp they will run at??
Think I am on right path but when you think you got it figured out.........

All the best
Greg

KevinNY
12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
88 and 82. You could check them with a piece of wire hanger, a pot of water on the stove and a thermometer if you wanted to. Most just run an 88 year round.

Terrys
12-12-2010, 08:27 AM
98? Is there even such a thermostat? I'm guessing it's an 88 that wasn't completely stamped. A radiator curtain (muff) is about the only way they even get to temp in the winter.

LaneRover
12-12-2010, 08:34 AM
98? Is there even such a thermostat? I'm guessing it's an 88 that wasn't completely stamped. A radiator curtain (muff) is about the only way they even get to temp in the winter.

A silted up radiator can also get you to temp in the winter!

Cutter
12-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Or a 2.6, mine is running at temp now. In the summer it is right under the red line on the gauge, which is somewhat disconcerting. At least the heat comes on quick!

SafeAirOne
12-12-2010, 10:17 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Probably an 86 upside down.

82C=180F
86C=190F
98C=210F

glbft1
12-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks everyone installed the 88 one runs hotter , is there a " hotter"
thermo out there for winter?? also have the muff installed went thru the rig and sealed it up new gaskets air leaks etc even had a custom fume curtain made warmer but still have little air leaks here and there sometimes snow will blow in are all these rigs a bit wonky like this??:D

glbft1
12-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks everyone installed the 88 one runs hotter , is there a " hotter"
thermo out there for winter?? also have the muff installed went thru the rig and sealed it up new gaskets air leaks etc even had a custom fume curtain made warmer but still have little air leaks here and there sometimes snow will blow in are all these rigs a bit wonky like this??:D

Terrys
12-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Our host lists 74, 82 and 88C, which is what my S2A parts book shows. I've never seen one over 88C, but that doesn't mean there isn't some domestic one with a higher opening temp.

stomper
12-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Greg, Have you flushed the heater matrix out on your 109? you may be getting a reduced heat output due to crud keeping the coolant from circulating fully. I know that since I replaced my matrix, I get enough heat out of the Kodiak MKIII, that I actually have to turn the heat off at times. And that is with the 82 degree thermostat. I need to replace that with a 88 degree unit, to get the heat warmer, to heat the cab faster on short runs.

I forget what heater you are running, but I know it is not the MKIII.

luckyjoe
12-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Yes, flush the system, preferably with the t-stat removed, then back-flush in the reverse (flow) direction. It is a pain to do this at this time of year, but it really is necessary if the system is not in top shape. I usually fill with distilled water and run/drive it for a while, then drain/refill. Do this until only nice clean water drains out. At this point it's worth back-flushing the rad, ideally when removed from the vehicle and even consider having a rad shop look at it. The result should be top cooling system performance, and a steady engine temp.

When my 109 ran a soft top, I would have to open the windows to dissipate the Kodiak's heat, and rarely wore a jacket! 88C t-stat + rad muff when really cold...