PDA

View Full Version : ac delco and a series III

cousindave
12-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, I'm thinking of replacing the "junkas" alternator with a delco 68 amp. I was wondering if anyone has converted a series three and what bracket was used. Can the original series III bracket be used? Thanks

KevinNY
12-12-2010, 04:39 PM
www.pangolin4x4.com (http://www.pangolin4x4.com)

jac04
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I converted. Buy the brackets from Ike @ Pangolin. It will make installation very easy. Then get yourself a Delco 10SI alternator. You will also need a belt and the wiring pigtail that plugs into the alternator. Ike has them available as well. I have posted the NAPA alternator part number and the correct Dayco belt part number a few times - a quick search should find them.

cousindave
12-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I guess my question is can the delco be installed utilizing the series III bracket( of course with some modification) or is it something that needs to be fab'ed or purchased.

TeriAnn
12-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I guess my question is can the delco be installed utilizing the series III bracket( of course with some modification) or is it something that needs to be fab'ed or purchased.

Sorry, I can't answer your SIII alt bracket question as I've never tried it. You can certainly try it and if it seems too much a hassle buy one of Ike's.

HOWEVER, if you do much wading or playing in the mud, you might want to get Ike's bracket even if the S10 fits in the old SIII brackets. Ike's bracket moves the alternator to the top of the engine where it is a lot better protected from water and slinging mud. Then you can modify that bottom alternator bracket to hold a power steering pump :rolleyes:

LaneRover
12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Though I don't yet have one, it looks as though getting Ike's bracket also allows you to remove your alternator without climbing under the Rover.

Brent

Tim Smith
12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I had a bodged set up using some of the brackets for a rover alternator conversion and a few weeks ago it finally let go. It was metal fatigue from the inherent vibrations and poor support to handle the Delco unit.

Get Ike's bracket and you'll not have to worry about it. :thumb-up:

msggunny
12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Though I don't yet have one, it looks as though getting Ike's bracket also allows you to remove your alternator without climbing under the Rover.

Brent

Much nicer access to the alternator....

LaneRover
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Much nicer access to the alternator....

Since I recently have had to lay under the vehicle to work on my alternator I believe that I will be asking for one of Ike's alternator brackets for Christmas!!

Luckily I was laying under it in Florida and not Maine right now!

Brent

Terrys
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I had one of his brackets on a 2A 109 I had, and never much paid attention to it, but a friend just bought one and when we were puting it on, I noticed there is very little belt contact on the fan pulley because of the height of the alternator. It seems like the belt is only in the groove about 75 degrees. Has anyone ever had an issue with this? Seems to me there would be a much greater wrap of the belt if the alternator dropped about 2-3 inches.

Donnie
12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I had one of his brackets on a 2A 109 I had, and never much paid attention to it, but a friend just bought one and when we were puting it on, I noticed there is very little belt contact on the fan pulley because of the height of the alternator. It seems like the belt is only in the groove about 75 degrees. Has anyone ever had an issue with this? Seems to me there would be a much greater wrap of the belt if the alternator dropped about 2-3 inches.

If U R using a 10si GM alt, the power demand to turn it , fully loaded, is not that demanding..you should have at least 1/3 or 120 deg. of belt contact with the pulley. The less contact U have, the tighter that U have to make the belt, A larger amp alt will require more contact or double belts..The belt is tight enough when you can turn the alt fan with your thumbs + the engine will want to turn also. Mount the alt HIGH up on the engine, like someone already said.

Terrys
12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
If U R using a 10si GM alt, the power demand to turn it , fully loaded, is not that demanding..you should have at least 1/3 or 120 deg. of belt contact with the pulley. The less contact U have, the tighter that U have to make the belt, A larger amp alt will require more contact or double belts..The belt is tight enough when you can turn the alt fan with your thumbs + the engine will want to turn also. Mount the alt HIGH up on the engine, like someone already said.
Interesting answer, but if you go back and re-read my question, you'll see I was talking about the fan(water pump) pulley. There's already plenty of wrap on the alternator pulley. The demand on the alternator is not a function of it's capacity, but the load being put on it.

jac04
12-13-2010, 07:58 PM
^^Right, but Terry is talking about contact with the water pump/fan pulley, not the alternator pulley.

I actually did have belt slipping issues when I tried running a single belt on my double-groove military pulleys. It would squeal a little if I revved the engine quickly. I attributed the slippage on the water pump pulley to the 8-blade military fan, which must take quite a bit of power to turn. I installed 2 belts and everything was fine.

Edit: Looks like Terry was typing at the same time as me!

TJR
12-14-2010, 10:22 PM
^^Right, but Terry is talking about contact with the water pump/fan pulley, not the alternator pulley.

I actually did have belt slipping issues when I tried running a single belt on my double-groove military pulleys. It would squeal a little if I revved the engine quickly. I attributed the slippage on the water pump pulley to the 8-blade military fan, which must take quite a bit of power to turn. I installed 2 belts and everything was fine.

Edit: Looks like Terry was typing at the same time as me!

I asked the same question over the summer and the basic answer was "No issues" . JAC04 had the heavier 8 blade military fan but was also running 2 belts.

FWIW I fabbed my own version of a braket similar to Ike'd simply because I preferred to have 3 mounting points on the block. I picked up the 2 bolts on the water pump and the same one off the exhaust manifold. It took me more in time than the cost of his bracket set, so his price is not bad considering. I must say I've never heard of any issues with his bracket either, and it sounds like he's sold plenty.

For the tension arm.. I had an old craftsman garage door opener attaching bracket (trolley to door) that is bent 90 and a near perfect fit. I had to mill the slot into the alt. end, but otherwise it's a good strut. The Chevy and Ford struts I had just didn't fit right. Talbot

Donnie
12-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Interesting answer, but if you go back and re-read my question, you'll see I was talking about the fan(water pump) pulley. There's already plenty of wrap on the alternator pulley. The demand on the alternator is not a function of it's capacity, but the load being put on it.
Sorry, since you were discussing the alt. I thought that you were speaking of the alt cooling fan & related pulley..I mis understood "engine cooling fan" my fault