PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for left reverse light on `70 IIA

IIA
12-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Could anyone post a diagram (or preferably a photo) of the factory installed wiring for the driver-side reverse light on a 1970 IIA (US model)? All my tail lights and the license plate light work but not that one reverse light. I've tested the bulb and it was fine but in the process of opening up the inside I knocked the wires loose and can't figure out where they went. Tail lights, etc. still work - but not that one annoying reverse light.

Thanks

stomper
12-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Wow, you are in a luxury vehicle if you have reverse lights! My '66 now feels inadequate!

Having just removed the two rear covers on the brake lights, I had a similar problem, where one of the wires broke, and I couldn't figure out where it went to. If you have a working reverse light on the other side, could you check how it is wired, and use it as a guide for your non-working unit?

are you sure you are getting continuity from the inside wires, to the bulb?

IIA
12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
I can't compare the wiring to the other side because this side has the license plate light which adds extra wires. I guess I'll just have to experiment and hopefully not short anything out. How do you test the continuity?

stomper
12-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Use a multimeter. One prong to the wire, one to the bulb socket. it really is that simple.

siii8873
12-27-2010, 11:12 AM
The reverse light on the drivers side should have the same wire color as passenger side. I think that one wire comes back to the passenger side (LHD) it then splits and one wire goes to the drivers (left) side. There is also a ground wire from each to the grounding connector. The ground is also critical to light operation. A test lightor multimeter can be used to check the circuit. Make sure the spring in the bottom of the light socket is moving freely. This engages the positive connector to the bottom of the bulb.