PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making a galvy run soon?

TedW
12-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I have four hinges I'd like to have dipped. No rush.

Thanks in advance! - Ted

solihull109
12-14-2010, 08:32 AM
P.M sent.

RoverForm
12-14-2010, 12:29 PM
i also have two rear x-member grab handles i'd like dipped.

junkyddog11
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I'll be making a run right after the holidays.

msggunny
12-14-2010, 03:32 PM

Really.....

Broadstone
12-14-2010, 07:26 PM
They will most likley not dip the rear x-member handles, for risk of them exploding as they are small with small weep holes. that is what they told me.

Mountain132
12-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I had mine done a few weeks ago with the frame, bulkhead, and other parts and they came out fine.

RoverForm
12-14-2010, 09:51 PM
They will most likley not dip the rear x-member handles, for risk of them exploding as they are small with small weep holes. that is what they told me.
perhaps i can add tow larger holes to the bottoms of each?

why does the galvanizing i see on here not have that distinct galvanized geometric patchwork pattern?

is there a difference in the process?

TJR
12-14-2010, 10:08 PM

I have a few bits as so does a Pete in westbrook.. It's be great if it could work out to share the cost. ... Talbot

Mountain132
12-14-2010, 10:34 PM

why does the galvanizing i see on here not have that distinct galvanized geometric patchwork pattern?

I thought the acid dip would have taken all the paint and crap off, i think there was still stuff on it when they dunked it

JackIIA
12-14-2010, 10:55 PM

Well, according to Mike Smith at ECR, it is not easy to get that frosted effect. When he did more Series stuff, I remember a posting talking about it taking time for him to find the right method to get the old galv effect.

I have no experience with this myself, and he didn't provide any details on the how and why.

Mountain - that galvy. still looks pretty darn good to me!

ruuskado
12-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Where do you have your Galvi done? is it hot-dip, or electro?

D

amcordo
12-15-2010, 06:50 AM

There are different types of galvanizing that can be done - depending on the mix of zinc and anything else they add to the lava.

My galv. runs have looked like that at first, but once they're exposed to air and water they quickly start to dull and take on the geometric paterns you're talking about.

TedW
12-15-2010, 07:40 AM

IIRC the geometric pattern is a result of the smoother "architectural" galvanizing process, as opposed to the more heavy duty process that results in the thicker coating.

Feel free to correct me if I am in error.

jac04
12-15-2010, 08:01 AM
^^ You are correct. When I had the galv done on my old 63, it came out beautifully patterned. The place that did it does mostly guard rails.
The quality of the galv will also depend heavily upon how clean they keep the bath, especially the slag floating on top of the bath. Pulling the part back up through a layer of crap will result in a poor finish. No offense meant to Mountain132, but that galvanizing doesn't look very good. I'm sure it will perform well, but it doesn't have the cosmetic finish of architectural galvanizing.

TedW
12-15-2010, 08:09 AM
I suppose the need for the finish depends on the part being dipped. For instance, most of us would prefer the nice finish on the cappings, but in my case with the hinges I am looking for a thick coating.

No problemo if they have a few drips on 'em.

junkyddog11
12-15-2010, 08:47 AM
It is hard to get the thin snow flake look. The thicker coat will dull and flake up a bit. I'm not that fussy.

The rear handles can be dipped.

Anything that is getting dipped has to have vent holes. No trapped air!

Let me know when you'll be dropping bits off. I have fresh dipped parts here so you'll be able to see what you get.

JackIIA
12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Perhaps it depends on where you live, but all the blog postings I've read on getting rover parts galvanized have stressed that you'll be LUCKY to find any place willing to do it at all. And complaining about final results is largely the reason why they won't do small batches for us little ol' rover owners. My only concern when I do finally get to it (if ever) is warpage. Which I think is as simple as making sure they don't shock cool it, but rather air dry.

Maybe the big shops are more willing to help us out given the lousy economy. Or maybe it's a wive's tale. dunno.

solihull109
12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Perhaps it depends on where you live, but all the blog postings I've read on getting rover parts galvanized have stressed that you'll be LUCKY to find any place willing to do it at all. And complaining about final results is largely the reason why they won't do small batches for us little ol' rover owners. My only concern when I do finally get to it (if ever) is warpage. Which I think is as simple as making sure they don't shock cool it, but rather air dry.

Maybe the big shops are more willing to help us out given the lousy economy. Or maybe it's a wive's tale. dunno.

Hmm, that's odd. Never once had a problem getting anything done before.:confused:

JackIIA
12-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Hmm, that's odd. Never once had a problem getting anything done before.:confused:

Well, as mentioned in prior post, I've NEVER done it, so my perspective is second hand only.

Or maybe your charisma overcomes their doubts! ;)

solihull109
12-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Well, as mentioned in prior post, I've NEVER done it, so my perspective is second hand only.

Or maybe your charisma overcomes their doubts! ;)

I wouldn't go that far..:)

yorker
12-15-2010, 03:11 PM

It isn't like they can turn the tanks off, if they aren't dipping 24-7 they aren't making money. The little loads that Series Land Rover Owners bring them (>2000 lbs as a rule) are barely worth their time and when some stitch counter bitches about the finish or something getting warped they usually don't have much patience for it and would rather write off the LR community as a whole than deal with the bull ****e.

It is an economy of scale and for the bigger firms that are doing DOT and utility company work and we don't count for much, maybe beer money for their holiday party.

RoverForm
12-15-2010, 03:16 PM
so... who is willing to take the handles for a dip?

Mountain132
12-15-2010, 08:10 PM
I had mine done at baystate galvanizers in Everett MA. Residential stuff accounts for a small part of their business so they seem to accept things regardless of the size. They called me after drop off and said the finish would be crappy because I should have sand blasted first (they do acid dip), no worries though I just don't want it to rust. If you want a perfect finish I'd buy a new frame, I don't think you'd get it by dunking through a different company.

ruuskado
12-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah I have used Bay State before as well after I welded up a roof-rack for my 88. When they close down for the night they roll a large insulated cover over the molten zinc to keep their heat losses down.

You might ask them to leave the "icicles" on as they are not particularly careful when they grind them off. Not that you would expect them to be as most of their business is architectural and industrial elements where they don't have to be so finicky.

junkyddog11
01-08-2011, 07:15 PM
So.....I'll be off with the next run a week from Monday. Any takers?

TJR
01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
So.....I'll be off with the next run a week from Monday. Any takers?

I'm interested.. thought I need to see what I can get prepped by then..

Of course I would frop off the parts.

Can you PM me with more details (cost, fees etc.. ) Thanks, Talbot