PDA

View Full Version : smoke!!

cousindave
12-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok, so yesterday I went outside to start the landy, and of coarse the battery is dead. I jump start her with my pickup and I see a little trace of smoke from the solenoid. I ouched the jumper cables and they were hot! I checked my cables to make sure I didn, t cross the wires. Everything was fine. Past jeep experiences told me the it could be bad connections or dirty connections. Also maybe bad starter to solenoid cables. Now ijust checked the wires and everything looks perfect. I also took the starter off to check the brushes but they also look good. Does anyone have any other ideas?

KevinNY
12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Problem is you let some of the smoke out and will have to replace it now, http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm.

cousindave
12-14-2010, 11:22 AM
LOL

RoverForm
12-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Problem is you let some of the smoke out and will have to replace it now, http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm.
that's good. i found these quite amusing:

Q: Once I have re-introduced smoke into my TR-2, do you warranty that it's system will resume operating at the speed of dark?
A: If you reintroduce the smoke through a microwave oven, you may even go back in time!

Q: I have been very diligent over the years and have maintained the smoke in my Sunbeam's wires perfectly. The problem is that that special Lucas perfume has disappeared from the dash, carpets and seats. In fact, at the last Concours d'Elegance I lost out to a frogeye with period odors. Is the smoke in your kit fresh enough to bring back the OEM smells of burning plastic and bakelite and are you including an adapter to replace same.
A: No adapter needed, but have you tried just STARTING that over-restored trailer queen? It might bring back the aroma by itself.

cousindave
12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, so I was looking at the website, that kevinny so kindly sent, and I realized that I can make that same tool with just a simple and cheap garden sprayed from home depot. The only thing is now where can I find cheap lucas smoke. And do you have to have a special liscence to purchase it or do I have to go to an authorized dealer?

cousindave
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Well, found the issue that gave me the smoking solenoid and hot cables. I pulled off the starter and checked the brushes I rmoved the stud that the solenoid cable attaches itself to and I noticed that the bushing that insulated the stud from the body of the starter and sure enough it was worn out, creating high resistance when starting. Ijust added a couple of rubber washers to insulate stud and she starts perfectly.