PDA

View Full Version : Thank you AMC's Walking Dead

crankin
12-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Me and my lady have been watching The Walking Dead on AMC, which is about the world's population turning into zombies. Any who, she is completely freaked out about the thought of zomibes as well as the world turning into Mad Max or Omega Man (which is kind of like zombies).

Last night she turns to me and asks what plans have I made for a crisis. I simply looked at her and said that I had a shotgun and a rover.

When confronted with the question on how I planned to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, I replied "barter"....her: "Barter what?"....me: "Cigarettes and “road side favors”"...after she gazed at me for a few minutes and demanded that I be serious she asked how I was going to protect the rover. This is where all the combined knowledge of all the husbands in the world rushed into my head and with the entire choir of heaven singing behind me I simply said “Honey, I haven’t even thought about that, you are a genius!” This was received with a whirlwind of ideas from the most ridiculous like chainsaws through the side panels, and flame throwers…to brilliant ones like window protection, roof racks, and jerry cans (I had to help her with that one).

I simply smiled at her and in an uninformed tone stated that I was sure that my old friend the internet had something to show us. So, I fired up the laptop, opened up Firefox and dropped down to my bookmarks and pulled up this puppy: http://www.extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/WINDOW_GRILLS.html. Man, that girl spazzed out! It was like a throwback to junior high and she just found out that the quarterback had a crush on her and wanted to go out on a date!

Anyone know anything similar state side or have anything like this installed? I know that there are a few others like Mantec that does these but I haven't seen anything for the windscreens or door tops. I am looking for some ideas.

I got to keep this fire burning for a while…so, this weekend I am planning on watching the movie”The Road”. I got my fingers crossed and praying that she doesn’t remember Water World.
Next, plan of action….this: http://zombietools.net/tools/

And before any wiseacre says “Sure does look like a pain in the butt to wash your windows” First off, it’s a land rover! Second, I am not sure what post-apocalyptic world you’re living in where water can be used so lavishly that you can just go out and all willy-nilly like wash your windows, moron!

And as always, 1-up’d you Amcordo.

LaneRover
12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
How much would you charge to have your wife call other wives demanding to know if their husbands had thought about outfitting their rovers for emergency situations?

meatblanket
12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Just go with van sides. Peeling IRR paint is also known to repel zombie attacks.

(photo credit to PA Blanchard)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/blanketmeat/ex%20MoD%20110/003.jpg

crankin
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
How much would you charge to have your wife call other wives demanding to know if their husbands had thought about outfitting their rovers for emergency situations?

I'll do it for free...if you can have your wife call my wife and tell her that women need to learn to cook (that is if your wife cooks).

LaneRover
12-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Just go with van sides. Peeling IRR paint is also known to repel zombie attacks.

(photo credit to PA Blanchard)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/blanketmeat/ex%20MoD%20110/003.jpg

It looks like this Rover has already repelled a zombie horde or two from the front

Cutter
12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Pretty funny, I've had this as an ongoing scheme in my head since I first saw a mad max movie 20+ years ago. At the moment I've got a list of "expedition" modifications for the rover that secretly somehow fit into post apocalyptic adventure world. Reality is that world would suck but it's fun to think of the kit...

RoverForm
12-15-2010, 05:49 PM
i like where this is going...

rwollschlager
12-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Me and my lady have been watching The Walking Dead on AMC, .

anybody else catch the 88 that made an appearance about 45 minutes into the first episode? it was sitting in the neighbors yard peeking up from behind a fence.

On another note I think a zombie apocalypse is when a set of limb risers and reinforced brush-guard would really prove their worth.

-Rob

LaneRover
12-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I'll do it for free...if you can have your wife call my wife and tell her that women need to learn to cook (that is if your wife cooks).

Actually both my wife and I cook, I'd let her do a bit of convincing in the cooking department!

gudjeon
12-15-2010, 06:53 PM
No matter what goes down, it is good old fashioned disease that will do everyone in. :sly:

czenkov
12-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Wow, lucky you. Don't watch The Road. It will make you both decide not to survive...its dark.

LaneRover
12-15-2010, 07:19 PM
No matter what goes down, it is good old fashioned disease that will do everyone in. :sly:

Could be a newfangled disease too!

Nium
12-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Just a couple of ideas...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5264495939_5d4a669ab1.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5163/5265102922_0a805b87db_m.jpg

albersj51
12-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Awesome thread! I only wish my girlfriend understood. All i get is, "you'll spend all this money on your cars, but not on a ring for me..." my response..."ummmmm..."

Cutter
12-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Just a couple of ideas...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5264495939_5d4a669ab1.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5163/5265102922_0a805b87db_m.jpg

Way too exposed for my hypothetical apocalypse, though the overall appearance of the top two is fitting

RoverForm
12-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow, lucky you. Don't watch The Road. It will make you both decide not to survive...its dark.

truth. just saw it over thanksgiving.

NickDawson
12-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Walking Dead is a great show! We had a very similar conversation while watching it - both of us identified the rover as a critical part of our survival.
Of course, there is something absurd about planning our survival (during a zombie apocalypse) around a brand who's owners get together online and talk about their lack of reliability and how to fix their issues :)

Then again, give me my Rover and a tool box and I'd feel a lot more secure than my modern computer controlled sedan

Rineheitzgabot
12-16-2010, 06:26 AM
While this thread covers several topics, I will give suggestions on other zombie movies to, "...keep the fire burning..." as you say, Clint.

A few of my favorites:

Shaun of the Dead - funniest, with a dash of scary, zombie movie anyone will ever see. My very favorite zombie movie of all time.

28 Days Later - Scariest, in my opinion.

Dawn of the Dead - George Romero, 2004, a bit campy and over the top, but your mention of chainsaw-channels in the windows, is actually used in this flick.

Last of the Living - Like most post-apocalyptic films, only with a fun twist. After all the dust has settled, these three guys live in a flat, and reap the spoils of the post-apocalyptic world. Mostly funny, slightly scary, and at times, boring, but I like the concept.

Dead Snow - Not quite post-apocalyptic, but still zombies. Blood-spraying fun, when med-students go to a log cabin and end up experiencing the wrath of Nazi-zombie soldiers living in the Norwegian mountains since being forced their at the end of WWII. There is more blood splashing around in the last 20 minutes of this film, than an entire lifetime of any butcher shop. All in fun, though.

Great thread!!

rickv100
12-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I like to play the Nazi Zombies levels on Call Of Duty:Black Ops to keep sharp on current zombie extermination methods.

I figure in a post-apocolyptic world there will be lots of surplus vehicles and weapons to chose from as becoming a zombie seems to remove the ability to operate machinery from them.

I Am Legend is another good zombie flick showing post-apocolyptic survival.

Rick

ivarra
12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm covered ...

LaneRover
12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
"Shaun of the Dead" is an awesome movie!

Cutter
12-16-2010, 09:00 AM
A Boy and His Dog is pretty funny bizarro twist on the P.A. genre.

Slightly related, a recently published study by the government says that chances of survival of an urban nuclear blast are greatly increased if you are in a car or basement.

LaneRover
12-16-2010, 09:30 AM
A Boy and His Dog is pretty funny bizarro twist on the P.A. genre.

Slightly related, a recently published study by the government says that chances of survival of an urban nuclear blast are greatly increased if you are in a car or basement.

Or live way out in the country.

amcordo
12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
And as always, 1-up’d you Amcordo.

You and your wife need to move to Columbus. I'm pretty sure we'd have some spirited debates at the bars about Zombie population control.

I'm going to use a different tactic, and yes I've had Zombie control on my resume since 2002.

First, which zombies are these? Are they the I Am Legend zombies, or Left4Dead2 zombies? I need to know infection rates, what their primary attack is, and have we developed a cure or is it a free for all?

Second, instead of up-armoring the rover I'd use it as a weapon. I'd set it in a field with some brains in it. Zombies would swarm, eat the brains. Then, they would become obssessed with battling rust, setting the points, and buying accessories. At some point the zombies would be so worn down by the whole affair that they would lay down. At that point I'd trigger a remote spark plug on the pool of oil they just laid down in from the transmission and transfer case and voila: zombie flambe!

Cutter
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.zentastic.com/blog/2009/08/28/toronto-department-of-zombie-disposal/

http://www.zentastic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/zombietruck-2.jpg

obviously a rover would suit this role better

TedW
12-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Awesome show. The exploding head scenes are kind of campy, but that's part of the fun.

Question: Does anyone think the writers have something against southern rednecks? Just saying.....

Another classic of the genre is Omega Man, with Charleton Heston -which was remade into I am Legend. Ol' Charleton is only surpassed by the great William Shatner when it comes to overwrought, over-the -top acting.

Duckman
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
So glad to come across kindred spirits out there. From the minute I started looking at Rovers I sited zombie preparedness as a reason.

Now my Series III ex-MOD has been christened Zombie I.

As for movies - can't believe no one has brought up the Resident Evil series. Worth watching for Milla Jovavich alone!

lrdukdog
12-16-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.zentastic.com/blog/2009/08/28/toronto-department-of-zombie-disposal/

http://www.zentastic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/zombietruck-2.jpg

obviously a rover would suit this role better

THAT LOOKS LIKE A JEEP!
All our Zombies drink tea at parties,
Jim Wolf

NickDawson
12-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Watched Dead Snow last night ... no rovers, not a great zombie flick...its a pass

Rineheitzgabot
12-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Watched Dead Snow last night ... no rovers, not a great zombie flick...its a pass

Nick, I am sorry you didn't like it. I probably should have pointed out that it's only relevance to this thread is that it has zombies in it. I must say that it gets quite ridiculous about 3/4 of the way through it (I thought it started well, though). But I do love the whole, Nazi-Zombie theme; I think there's nothing cooler than a black-eyed, blood-covered fleshy, zombie wearing a Nazi soldier's uniform. And the officers, are even cooler...

I get the feeling that about about half-way through, the production company told them that they would lose all their funding if they didn't finish it in the next 24 hours, or something.

Shaun of the Dead??

NickDawson
12-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Nick, I am sorry you didn't like it. I probably should have pointed out that it's only relevance to this thread is that it has zombies in it. I must say that it gets quite ridiculous about 3/4 of the way through it

Shaun of the Dead??

I was being a little coy - I didn't hate it by any means, it was entertaining and campy in the right kind of way. They took care to hit all the cliches and make fun of doing so...and, how awesome was the chainsaw scene!

Now, Shaun of the Dead...there is a great zombie flick!

SeriesShorty
12-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Shaun of the Dead was great. I had avoided it for years thinking how stupid it sounded. Then my crazy British friend brought over a copy and forced me to watch it. Zombie fan ever since.

My favorite is Resident Evil Extinction. As soon as I saw the convoy roll onto screen with all the sheet metal bolted on crap I was in awe and wanted to build a cage around my cargo area since I'm a soft-topper, and window grates to complete the look/protection. Then they ran out of gas and made me realize that you may not want to add an extra couple hundred pounds to your truck when you're trying to fight fuel economy. Plus, it'd probably make you look like a total douche. But part of the fun is not have it stealth, it's gotta look like a Leatherman inspired truck. The functionality is important, the tackiness is a bonus to me. :D I'll just add an extra tank under the tub.

LaneRover
12-17-2010, 08:57 PM
OK to make my Rover as zombie proof as possible I think that I would cut the wings like the Australian military so that zombies would be less likely to get stuck in around the wheels. I would get Ike's Alternator bracket - partially for the same reasons.

I would get Series Trek's Mercedes adaptor so I could run it on veggie oil. And diesel lasts longer than gas too.

I would get a full internal rollcage - cause I don't want something the zombies can climb on. Most likely I would put in a hatch for escapes if need be.

At least a Salisbury diff and maybe a locker or two. Parabolics for more articulation while driving over piles of the undead - and hence why I'd need to cut out the wings.

Razor wire limb risers.

Some south American bolos attached to the winch so that after throwing them out and wrapping them around the heads of zombies I can then 'winch in'.

A couple of chainsaws, a couple chainsaws on poles.

Shotguns.

Machetes . . . . . . lots of machetes.

and of course cardio.

Rineheitzgabot
12-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I was being a little coy - I didn't hate it by any means, it was entertaining and campy in the right kind of way. They took care to hit all the cliches and make fun of doing so...and, how awesome was the chainsaw scene!

Now, Shaun of the Dead...there is a great zombie flick!

I'm glad to hear that you didn't hate it. I am also glad to hear that you liked Shaun of the Dead. It's almost comfort "food" for me...

I have a 13-year-old boy at home with an XBOX 360, and his latest obsession is Call of Duty-Black Op's. If anyone hasn't seen this game, give it a chance, especially at the end when, well I don't want to give it away, but a group of you, and JFK are fighting zombies--Totally cool.

czenkov
12-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Glad to see someone mentioned Resident Evil. Each Halloween my GF and I have a Resident Evil Marathon - we don't go to movies but the latest one got us to go.

albersj51
12-18-2010, 09:08 PM
unfortunately, series trek no longer makes the mercedes adaptors

OK to make my Rover as zombie proof as possible I think that I would cut the wings like the Australian military so that zombies would be less likely to get stuck in around the wheels. I would get Ike's Alternator bracket - partially for the same reasons.

I would get Series Trek's Mercedes adaptor so I could run it on veggie oil. And diesel lasts longer than gas too.

I would get a full internal rollcage - cause I don't want something the zombies can climb on. Most likely I would put in a hatch for escapes if need be.

At least a Salisbury diff and maybe a locker or two. Parabolics for more articulation while driving over piles of the undead - and hence why I'd need to cut out the wings.

Razor wire limb risers.

Some south American bolos attached to the winch so that after throwing them out and wrapping them around the heads of zombies I can then 'winch in'.

A couple of chainsaws, a couple chainsaws on poles.

Shotguns.

Machetes . . . . . . lots of machetes.

and of course cardio.

Cutter
12-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Just watched The Road, which without this thread I wouldn't have even known about. I think thats the more likely reality in this sort of situation hoofin' it and scrounging for food while your neighbor tries to eat you.

crankin
12-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Guess what I did today!?! Me and the wife went to a gun store! Honest! She was eye balling a P99 and then asked...."Do you think we could make this my gun?" I honestly thought I was having a fantasy.

BUT WAIT!

Then she saw me looking at a used 870 Marine w/ a wood stock and said "Awesome!"

I'm telling you her paranoia is the best thing that could have happened to me!

czenkov
12-18-2010, 11:19 PM
"I'm telling you her paranoia is the best thing that could have happened to me!"

That is awesome! And about the funniest thing I have ever heard! Keep up the good work.

albersj51
12-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Another good post-apocolyptic movie is "The Book of Eli". No zombies, but still good at keeping the end of the world paranoia going.

lrdukdog
12-19-2010, 11:17 AM
What the heck just make up a huge flame thrower and zombies are yer crispy uncles and aunts.
These zombies are nothing to the "Duke"... think about it... Garry T.
Jim Wolf

LaneRover
12-19-2010, 12:45 PM
But don't you have to remove the head to totally kill them? With a flame thrower now you have a bunch of flaming zombies after you.

Which is of course why a belt fed machine gun is good for slowing zombies down and but not necessarily for killing them.

albersj51
12-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I think it depends on the zombie...walking dead zombies, yes because the disease infects the brain stem. In I am legend and 28 days later I don't think it mattered where you hit them.

LaneRover
12-20-2010, 05:06 AM
I think it depends on the zombie...walking dead zombies, yes because the disease infects the brain stem. In I am legend and 28 days later I don't think it mattered where you hit them.

True, but being a series Rover owner I tend to go for the old zombies. :D

NickDawson
12-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Another good post-apocolyptic movie is "The Book of Eli". No zombies, but still good at keeping the end of the world paranoia going.

Watched The Book of Eli last night - this thread is quickly turning into my number one source for movie recommendations

crankin
12-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Watched The Book of Eli last night - this thread is quickly turning into my number one source for movie recommendations

Movie source?! These are guides to survive worst case scenarios...

28 Weeks Later is awesome too.

crankin
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
THANK YOU MOTHER NATURE!!!

An estimated 500 red-winged blackbirds were found lying dead or dying along a quarter-mile stretch of Louisiana highway yesterday!

The incident comes just three days after the deaths of 3,000 blackbirds in Arkansas and over 100,000 fish washing up on a 20-mile stretch of the Arkansas River.

So, with that seed planted in the wifes head....here is my wish list!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/R2IIABFUYR9QJ2

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/02/arkansas.fish.kill/

amcordo
01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Clint... we're worried about you. I need to talk to your wife about an intervention.

THANK YOU MOTHER NATURE!!!

An estimated 500 red-winged blackbirds were found lying dead or dying along a quarter-mile stretch of Louisiana highway yesterday!

The incident comes just three days after the deaths of 3,000 blackbirds in Arkansas and over 100,000 fish washing up on a 20-mile stretch of the Arkansas River.

So, with that seed planted in the wifes head....here is my wish list!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/R2IIABFUYR9QJ2

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/02/arkansas.fish.kill/

LaneRover
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Not sure if this would be perfect for a post apocolyptic world.

http://www.rampageproducts.com/trailcan.html

Though maybe a fuel can that looks like a toolbox might be even better.

Duckman
01-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Clint,
Don't listen to Tony. We all know it's not a matter of IF we will be dealing with zombies in the future, simply a question of WHEN. :D

Stay prepared and keep the Rover packed.

Andy

albersj51
01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
So I am watching AMC replay the first season, which makes me think of this thread. I ask myself, why didnt they use an old Landie? It would be PERFECT! The answer? They did! I just happen to look up and catch a glimps of it.

If you watch the episode where he wakes up in the hospital, you'll see it. Below are some crappy phone pics of my TV screen...its an 88" Series.

rwollschlager
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
So I am watching AMC replay the first season, which makes me think of this thread. I ask myself, why didnt they use an old Landie? It would be PERFECT! The answer? They did! I just happen to look up and catch a glimps of it.

If you watch the episode where he wakes up in the hospital, you'll see it. Below are some crappy phone pics of my TV screen...its an 88" Series.

nice eye! i spotted that 88 when it first aired (see post #8 of this thread), unfortunately RN didnt count it as a sighting...

-Rob

albersj51
01-19-2011, 12:34 AM
nice eye! i spotted that 88 when it first aired (see post #8 of this thread), unfortunately RN didnt count it as a sighting...

-Rob

Dang, Rob! You beat me to it! oh well...

Momo
01-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Cool thread... If we ever ever have an event that plunges even part of the country into total anarchy, real live people will be scary enough and I don't want to be trapped in an urban area. Unfortunately I will probably be on duty and neck deep in the crap.

Someone of you may be aware that there are thousands of threads in many BBS forums about this subject, which once was the exclusive territory of maladjusted rednecks and wanna-be tough guys, but now has a mainstream following- and continues to bloom an entire subculture, consumer market, and ever-growing lexicon... google "Bug-out bag", or "TEOTWAWKI" for example.

And "bug-out bags" are all the rage in yuppie survivalist circles. Fun, thought-provoking reading...

http://www.whenshtf.com/forum.php

rickv100
01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
If you are at a bookstore, check out Make Magazine this month. They have a monthly challenge on situations and they have one on a zombie attack this month.

http://makezine.com/25/makeshift/

Rick

LaneRover
02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
So maybe we can fuel our vehicles after 'the fall'.

http://www.flixxy.com/convert-plastic-to-oil.htm

Basically the thing is a still with a temperature control.

stomper
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
That is seriously a great invention! I would love to see it marketed for residential use. It would pay for itself in less than a year or two depending on the inital price. I assume it could be run as is out of the still just like vegetable oil conversions on desiel vehicles, or converted into biofuel.:thumb-up:

LaneRover
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
There is a PDF you can download on the same page as the video. It looks like they have everything from home to commercial/industrial size models. Not saying you can buy it here but they are available somewhere.

Don't let California know, they'll try to tax it out of existence!

LR Max
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
For you zombie peoples out there, go onto the iTunes and download the free podcast; "We're Alive". It is about zombies...and surviving all that crap. Overall, REALLY good podcast, right up there next to The Moth.

Oh and feel free to do like me and "liberate" the old iPod from one of the womenfolk.