PDA

View Full Version : Exmoor Molded Mat System Question

artpeck
12-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Setting aside the high cost of this I was curious if anyone had use experience with this. I believe our hosts offer it via special order and again it isn't cheap but is purported to worm miracles in terms of improving the noise and vibration levels in the truck. Personally I am good with the noise et al but the charm seems lost on my family.

Description below:

Series Acoustic Moulded Matting System (not V8, Lightwiegt or 6 Cylinder)

This is the only front matting system available that is approved by Land Rover and the Ministry of Defence. This is the Kit. Already fitted to most military Land Rovers and used in extreme environments, this kit has proved itself to be up to the job time and time again. Supplied as a 3 piece kit with the floor & tunnel in one piece with the seat box totally covered and the bulk head centre. Approved at Millbrook testing ground and reduces the noise and heat levels in the front to below required safety standards.

Supplied as a 3 piece kit with the floor & tunnel in one piece with the seat box totally covered and the bulk head centre. The seat box section will require cutting to allow access to the storage sections and gear box access plate. You will also need to clear the holes to suit your vehicles required seat mounting points or any other equipment you may have installed.

Easy to clean

Heat deflective

Water repellent• Extremely hard wearing

Acoustic rubber underside for noise suppression

Drastically reduces noise

rejeep
12-16-2010, 08:40 AM
I have one and I love it..

Noise: well it helps a bit.. isn’t a night and day difference, but more like dusk and dawn.. it helps with the ting and rattling. But the 2.25 at 60 mph will roar no matter what..

Appearance: makes everything look nice, neat, and clean... great visual upgrade

Heat: NIGHT and DAY difference.. no more hot foot, cooler in summer, warmer in winter

Maintenance: this is the only real drawback.. if access to the gear or transfer box is needed it will require cutting your mat or removing..

Would I buy again: yes

Did I buy in this country: no

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/rejeep/74%20Series%20III/Roverupgrade010.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/rejeep/74%20Series%20III/Roverupgrade001.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/rejeep/74%20Series%20III/Roverupgrade002.jpg

artpeck
12-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks. Very helpful. Looks great also. Do you have any issues with moisture being trapped underneath the mats? Replacing door seals is pending but I know these trucks are never water tight.

rejeep
12-16-2010, 10:32 AM
i dont run the truck year round.. its in storage over the winter..
I also need new seals.. and doors for that matter.. I have replaced 2 of 5 at this point.. with defender seals to follow..

The heat from the engine has always been enough to keep the bottoms of the mat dry, and the way they interlock doesnt not allow much past from the topside down..
the floors on the rover arent exactly water tight as well...

I guess what im saying is no. There is no issue with standing water, it all flows nicely...

greenmeanie
12-16-2010, 11:07 AM
The comments above are very accurate. I've had one in my 88 for about 5 or 6 years. In my case I found that my ear lies almost directly in line with the transfer gears so there was a noticeable whine. Moving my ear forward or backward 6 inches would cause it to disappear so I knew where it came from. The matt eliminated that. After trying carpets, matts, insulating pads and dynamat this is the only thing I have ever bought that made a significant difference to the heat and noise. It also wears very well.

Water ingress - what's that? It would have to rain first.

NickDawson
12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
it really does look nice!

I have the regular rubber/foam floor covers from our hosts, they do some for the heat and nose...but not a tremendous improvement. They do trap moisture :(

artpeck
12-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Great input as always. I only asked about water as I am lucky enough to have zero rust on this truck but for a bit of superficial rust that has come from standing water on the floor pans from seal leakage. Obviously replacing the seals should help. Defender seals huh? I also have a '95 D-90 soft top and it is anything but water tight. Better yes but not dry.