PDA

View Full Version : External gas filler for gas tank

Jim-ME
03-29-2007, 09:40 AM
My military gas tank is about shot. I want to add a Gerding SS tank which requires that I add an external fill. Does anyone have pictures or measurements for the holes I need to make to accurately add the filler and the tank?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim-ME
04-03-2007, 05:45 AM
One more time. Someone must have a rear tub off their Rover and could shoot a few pics. Please?
Thanks,
Jim

LaneRover
04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Where in Maine are you? Though I am currently in Los Angeles I have a number of tubs sitting on my property in Old Orchard Beach Maine that you could go and take some measurements and as many pics as you would like.

Of course you may just have a really short last name and the 'ME' may have nothing to do with the Great State of Maine.

LaneRover

KingSlug
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
If your tank is shot, just cut out the filler neck from you current tank, large enough that you could bolt it to the SS tank. Send it to John Gerding and have him mount it for you in the new SS tank. Bam you are done, no cutting or extra expense.

Jim-ME
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
John doesn't make that type of tank because of venting issues and the need for stainless steel tanks to vent. I've already had a long conversation with him about it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jim

yorker
04-04-2007, 12:05 PM
That is funny- he told me the only reason he did not make them was because he couldn't get the military type fillers.

bamarover
04-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I hope you have your Gerding SS tank already. I went to John's site to look at current products - bought a great radiator support and grill earlier - He is no longer taking orders due to price of stainless. That is a real shame for the home refurbisher. ECR may have him so busy he can't do more, so us average guys will have to try other sources . Oh well, maybe he will get back to it one day. He makes unbelievable SS products, well worth the money!

fruitpunch
04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I also doubt that the cost of stainless has him not making any consumer products. More then enough work for someone buying in bulk sounds more like it. Raw materical cost did go up obviously but any customer will pay that regardless if he makes it or if anyone should attempt to fabricate it themselves. Even if SS was the same price as cooper and a tank weight was 50lbs then you would be in for about 150usd in material I still think the labor and skill component are the more expensive parts. Anyone know SS going rate ?...alu was about .68 cents last time I hit the scrap dealer.

Jim-ME
04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
I was disappointed to see that John isn't taking on orders at this time. He is without a doubt a very skilled craftsman. I trust him at his word and if he says SS is too expensive then I truly believe him. I don't know where the ECR comment comes from other than a cheap shot. We all need to get along especially since our vehicles of choice aren't spring chickens anymore and he can't afford to allienate anyone that does the quality of work that these two organizations do. Take it from me I've done that and have regretted it ever sense.
Jim

bamarover
04-11-2007, 12:40 PM
It was not a cheap shot. It is well known that ECR uses John's great product, and they are busy, so they probably order a lot! I suspect that he has to choose, like any business, what market he can operate best in and make a profit, a steady flow of orders, or piecemeal from guys like me doing a single truck. As he points out the price of SS he only states it is too pricey for him to buy, and that he is no longer taking orders for parts. He never states he has gone out of business. Margins must be thin because of that pricing so the spotty, inconsistent order retail market is not doable. But, if someone supplies SS for him, he is good to go. That someone would need to have a large need themselves. Anyway, you should read the whole post before you take a cheap shot yourself! And I'll buy again if he opens back for retail.
Greg

Jim-ME
04-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Greg,
Please accept my appology if I was too quick to jump on the keyboard. I really suspect that John has decided to suspend Rover parts due to an increase in his cost to produce his product line especially considering the relatively small market he sells to. From my conversations with John I get the feeling that if he thinks if his product price including profit is is not a true value for us Rover owners he would suspend production until he can see his way clear to give us value. From what I have been following on the ECR website they are doing Defender work which I don't believe that John produces any product for. I know they have used his products in the past but it has all been Series work. Maybe he has decided to go directly to work for ECR as a fabricator as I know they were looking for one. We could only be so lucky as maybe they will go back to Series bulkhead repair. This is not based on know fact or even a rumor, just wishful thinking.
Jim

bamarover
04-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Never even ocurred to me that John would quit making parts altogether (but I can see your point about the value he wants to offer). Wow. Hope not for the long haul. To me, the price is only part of the picture. It is more about replacing things on a vintage, long-lasting truck (we all are addicted to) that are not available in the material he offers, period. That radiator support and grill he made for our IIA....... we did not even want to paint it. It was a work of art and soooooo accurate as a replacement. Anyway, I am going to keep my eye on his site. If he starts back up, I'm going to order several things.
Greg

Jim-ME
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I am totally in agreement about buying more as soon as things become available and am kicking myself in the butt for not having ordered sooner. Another thing I can chaulk up to boy I coulda had a forever rover.
Jim

LaneRover
04-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Now, if only we could find a metal wholesaler who was also into Rovers and convince him/her to sell Stainless steel at an AMAZINGLY LOW price....

Jim-ME
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
I know there are folks that make SS tanks in England as I have read about them on the Series 2 Club Forum. Heaven only knows what they cost and what shipping would be. At times it seems like the Brits have Series parts on every street corner. Kind of makes one jealous but not enough to want to live there.
Jim

J!m
04-12-2007, 06:49 AM
I buy material quite often and the company I work for is heavily involved in the commodities markets as most of our powders are nickel based or have nickel in them. Nickel is at an all-time high right now, and a significant ingredient in Stainless Steel (316 is 12% Nickel).

Another friend works in the scrap business. He had an interesting piece of information too: Stainless steel scrap is actually higher per pound than Aluminum now. This is a very unusual situation according to him, and NEVER happens.

Now, if you want to get your own material, and provide it to someone who can weld it for you, find out what is needed for material, and call Yarde Metals (in new England / New York area) as they will sell small pieces just as happily as large ones. Very small orders carry a shipping charge, but if you know of any metal working shops that order from them already, you can piggy-back it with a regular order and pay no delivery charge! I do this when I need material- I order it delivered to work.

If this is the only thing holding him up, its easy to fix...