PDA

View Full Version : 96 disco window issues

Dadevilledisco
12-18-2010, 06:01 AM
My 1996 SD electric windows have stopped working except for the front passengers! I know the rear have a separate ECU and they have been down for a while but the drivers side quit this week. No motor noise when button is engaged ? Am I missing some thing obvious? Thanks

Stork
12-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I had the same issue in my 97. It was a loose contact (solder) on the chip board. I'll look around for the information on fixing this issue. I found it on a web site. Super easy fix, biggest issues are pulling the board out (its a bit tricky to pull it out if you have big hands!) And finding the contact if you don't have a picture of it!
Apart from that some solder and your good to go.
As fro the front window, that is a whole other issue, could be many things. I would start by checking the fuse, then go to the control panel and pop the window switch and put in one that you know works. If still nothing then you could be looking at an issue with the window regulator.
I'll post the web site when and if I find it (its been a while since I went on it)!
Robert

Stork
12-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Found it (that was quick man I love the net!)
Go here:
http://www.discoweb.org/

Click on tech. Then on the left side click "rear electric window"

Should take you less than an hour to do... Good luck!!!

n8thgr8
05-21-2011, 06:27 PM
I've done it, it's easy. You'll need a soldering gun.
unhook the glove box and let it hang, inside the dash on the far right hand side, you'll see a black cover about 1.5 inches wide x 5/6 inches tall. Pop the cover off that bad boy.
Then you'll see two plugs. White and black. Pull them off.
(this was the hardest part for mine, if this has never been done before, they are on there and tough to get off)
Then pull out the ECU chip board.
YOu'll be able to see the solder that isn't connected anymore, just solder that guy back together, and any others that look like they're about to go, re assemble, and test.
As soon as you fix this problem however...
Something else will go wrong! ;)
Good luck!