PDA

View Full Version : 109 P/U to three door Wagon

Skookumchuck
12-19-2010, 06:46 AM
I just picked up a 1958 Series II P/U and I would rather have a hard top. The tub has some major damage on the Passenger rear quarter panel so I am going to have to change the tub anyway. What is all involved in making this change is it even possible? Ther frame is in good condition and the bulk head is rust free, the truck runs and it is LHD. Would it just be simpler to make it a soft top and call it a day. Thanks for the help

LaneRover
12-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Hard tops for a 109 are very easy to change. All you need are the sides, top and rear door (or tailgate and liftgate) and you can bolt them right on.

Changing to a 5 door wagon would require changing the tub out. But to go from a 2 door p-up to a 3 door hardtop is very easy.

phoenix37
12-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Pick up cabs in good condition are also becoming increasingly harder to come by. You may get lucky and trade it to someone that has a full length hard top.

lrdukdog
12-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Do you want a full-length top or the truck cap? The caps are very hard to find in good condition. The full-length tops are easier to find.
Jim Wolf

bpj911
12-19-2010, 08:50 AM
I'd trade you if yours is in good shape. Mine is. 712-299-2279

siiirhd88
12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
If you use an original pickup tub you will need to drill a few holes to mount a rear door, as the pickup tubs are missing the lower door hinge and latch mount holes. If you keep the tailgate you will need to find a lift gate for the top, which can cost $$, and not all hard tops have the brackets to mount the lift gate hinges.

The three door and pickup tubs will interchange, though there are some location differences between the SIIA and SIII tub forward mounts.

I swap my 109 soft top to a pickup top seasonally, after I traded the full hard top for the soft top bows.

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

stomper
12-19-2010, 02:56 PM
There is a solid liftgate for sale in Troy New Hampshire currently for $325. It is listed on the Land Rover Exchange. Don't know if this helps.

solihull109
12-19-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a very good cab, glass is great. I also have 2 good condition lift gates, all the hardware as well, if you don't find something.:thumb-up:

Momo
12-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Easy switcheroo. Nuts, bolts and gaskets mainly. How bad really is the tub damage? Usually you can drill out the spot welds and install new panels. Post a pic of your rig! Early SIIs like that are really cool. Is it all stock? The SII engine parts are getting hard to find.

I go between soft top and pickup cab, and I'll be switching to a hard top soon. Although I do find for my uses that the pickup configuration is the best, especially since I have been hauling a lot of gravel, sand, concrete & lumber in the last few years for various projects. But recently I acquired another full roof rack, and I have been waiting for around 6 years to bolt on a top I traded for. It's a tropical top but with van sides, exactly what I've been wanting. So now that I have the roof rack it will be perfect for surf trips.

I do have a spare standard 109 hard top for sale. Needs a bit of work, but yours for $300. Never had it installed, it just ended up in my foster care, looking for a new family. No rear door or tailgate/liftgate though, just the sides and top. You can PM me if interested. I'm in Southern CA so maybe you are too far away.

Also Chuck, you should consider getting a fume curtain or cab divider to keep warm and reduce the tin box acoustics. Are you in the PNW?

Skookumchuck
12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
I will take some pictures of the truck tomorrow and post them. Just another question will a diesel 2.5 bolt in or do I need to change out the trany etc. Where can you purchase replacement panels?

Momo
12-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Bolt-in, but you will need to do a few small things, like install the water separator/filters, work out the fuel lines including a return line,
work out the throttle linkage, & get a diesel start switch. Wiring is a little different. Gearbox will hold up fine. Same diameter clutch, same motor mounts, same radiator etc. The diesels had an extra leaf or two in the front springs though. RN may have the panels but I haven't bought body panels for years... someone here will know.

xsbowes
12-20-2010, 06:42 AM
If you keep the tailgate you will need to find a lift gate for the top, which can cost $$, and not all hard tops have the brackets to mount the lift gate hinges.

easy to make. 30 mins with some aluminum angle.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/375673796.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/375673794.jpg