PDA

View Full Version : Cracked head/Block fatigued

swray
12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
So, I was starting to really blow coolant out the exhaust, so I pulled off the head and noticed that the old copper head gasket was gone between cylinders 2 and 3. The head was also cracked in this area. The block is not cracked but the metal is discolored and looks kind of fatigued. Would you all try putting a rebuilt head and new gasket in or would you also pull the block out. Sort of running out of funding so was hoping to get away with just the head...
:o

jac04
12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I would thoroughly clean the surface of the block, then check it with a straight edge to be sure it was still flat in that area. If it looks good I would just go with a new gasket and rebuilt head.
BTW, if you are interested, I have a complete head assembly that came off my Lightweight that the previous owner had professionally rebuilt. PM me if interested and I will dig out the old receipt to see what was done to it.

Tim Smith
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
My money has it that your block will be fine. Do check it to be sure though. Once you are sure, swap in the new head and gasket and you should be good to go.

czenkov
12-23-2010, 08:13 AM
When I pulled the head off mine the gasket was as you described. When I checked the block there was a crack between the middle two cylinders. So when you do the block inspection look closely.

I ended up finding a rebuilt engine.

Good luck and I hope yours is fine.

swray
12-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Where did you find a rebuilt engine?

Thanks

czenkov
12-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Club member had built it, stuck it in his, then found a 2.5 diesel to put in. He pulled the rebuilt motor and I bought it.