PDA

View Full Version : Will the real Masai Red please stand up?

widerberg
12-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi, All:

I'm going to be buying (probably from Tower Paint, who I suppose I should just contact directly and ask...) a can of Masai Red to touch up some hinges and other small areas.

Question is: What's the correct code for Masai Red?

I've found both LRC296 and LRC378 online. Both claim to be code for Masai Red in the year range I'm looking for. :confused:

Many thanks, experts!

Bo

TimTotten
12-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm in the same boat. If anyone can clarify, it would be much appreciated.

Momo
12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Mates, try DuPont 44035A. Should correspond to LRC296.

Sometimes Masai looks like a "barn" red, other times I've seen it it looks lighter, like "fire engine" red. If you can ship a sample to Tower they can match it. (Their service and quality is awesome IMO.)

Rineheitzgabot
12-20-2010, 05:25 PM
If you have an automotive paint supplier in your area, it may behove you to stop in and have them match your color with a gun. That is, if you have a color to match (from your post, it appears that you are just touching up).

This way, if the color is aged at all, and lighter, you can match better. Additionally, you don't have to worry about it NOT matching, in general (whether it is aged or not).

I did this last summer, and in a jiffy they mixed me up a spray bomb, and two spare cans for about $40, and it matched perfectly.

Hope this helps.

-Gary

Firemanshort
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
If you are looking for an exact color match then do not read further....

... I have found that Rustoleum Regal Red is a pretty close match.

RoverForm
12-20-2010, 09:02 PM
wish you the best of luck...

and as a word of non color matching related advice, in an effort to produce a less verdant forum, let's all try to reduce our slim shady references.:D

widerberg
12-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your advice (including the limiting of Slim Shady references :D).

Eventually, the whole beast will get a respray, so as long as I pick an LRC number and stay consistent, I imagine I *should* be okay. Aesthetically, I think I'm leaning more towards the "barn" rather than "fire engine" side of the Masai spectrum.

rejeep
12-21-2010, 02:27 PM
i just had one of my stores mix me up a batch of this color to test match on my series...

I will let you know what I find out..

yorker
12-23-2010, 07:55 AM
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Other.paint.Codes.html

http://www.landrover.net/paint/