PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 camshaft advantages?

MarkMukilteo
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
After a few years in storage, I'm in the process of getting my 1966 seriia 88 back on the road with a front disk brake conversion and general cleanup.

Some time ago I installed an Automotive Components Power Plus SU carburator kit and have been very happy with its performance, even with the standard 2.25 cam and unported 8:1 cylinder head, but since I'm diving into the beast anyway, I'm wondering if a 2.5 camshaft would be worth the effort.

I presume that the cylinder head and cam followers would have to be removed along with the engine front cover (of course), but will new camshaft bearings be needed as well? In other words, can the cams be swapped out with the engine in place, or is this a complete rebuild project?

The engine runs pretty well as is, but I wouldn't mind making it run a bit better - not a lot, but a bit better. Has anyone done this conversion, and if so, what were the results?

Thanks,
Mark

Sputnicker
12-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I did a complete engine overhaul that included the 2.5L camshaft. It was a direct replacement and did not require new camshaft bearings. The only thing (besides the profile) that was different was the metric bolt that secures the sprocket.

Since I did so many other things at the same time I can't say how much of the performance increase was attributable to the new cam, but the consensus among the LR community seems to be that it helps.

Tim Smith
12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
It seems to help. :D