PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Chassis Comparisons

Boruca
03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I am new to the forums so I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed (probably has).

I am looking for a new galvinized chassis for my Ser IIA 88". Prices range from $1690 (Rovers North) up to about $2000 elsewhere.

I've also identified at least three manufacturers: Marsland, Richards, and Designa but there are probably more. Rovers North and other companies dont always state which brand they are selling so it is hard to make price/quality comparisons.

Are there significant differences between these chassis? Has anyone examined serveral of them? Anythign to look for? Avoid? Any suggestions for what I should look for before making a purchase?

Thanks, Jeff

bamarover
03-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I purchased a Richards's galv for a 1971 IIA. They claim each year specificity. It is good quality, but was missing one of the emergency brake brackets. Had to fabricate and weld on myself (long way to ship back and replace!). Of course, galv ruined in the weld area. All of the holes were reamed and ready for parts installation. Everything, including the tub and bulkhead fit well. I would order another if going leaf springs and ask them to check it over good before sending.
I am looking at Designa now. My plan is to rebuild a 109 with the Designa coil conversion and a 300tdi. I have inquired, but not heard back from Designa on this configuration availability.
HTH
Greg

Leslie
03-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Marsland is pretty much the de facto standard reproduction chassis. Their offerings are basically SIII chassis, 88" or 109", with options for engines (4cyl, V8, etc). Choice of galvanized or not (why bother w/ not???)

Designa's specialty is coil-conversion chassis for Series.

Richard's, as Greg said, will make a IIa-specific chassis for you, or a SI, etc.

Odds are, RN, RDS, AB, etc, it's probably a Marsland... just call them and ask.

Leslie
03-30-2007, 03:07 PM
PS: A III chassis will work for a IIa... the difference is, the front of the IIa tub/chassis combination has some tabs w/ bolt-holes a little different than the III does... when I rebuilt my IIII (onto a Marsland chassis) I switched my III's rear tub for a IIa tub because of corrosion w/ the US-spec III-style tub supports... the older IIa tub was in far better shape, because of the lack of those additional supports...

FWIW...

yorker
03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
With aRichards chassis you even have the option of an inverted crossmember! no extra charge! :)

Here are pics of an ungalvanized 109 chassis from Richards w/comments from the owner:

A number of body mounting brackets were in the wrong place, and the cut-out in the gear box Xmember looked like it had been attacked by a large hammer, far from carefully fabricated...
I'm also glad that a PTO option will not be needed as the second rear Xmember had been fitted the wrong way round!
Overal I've not been impressed, its lucky I have the welding equiptment to correct the faults.. Check-out the pics, the rough overlapping, hammered into shape cut out was their effort
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/sepp45/Richardsnotch-1.jpg

hopefully they've corrected things since that chassis left the line.

Also IIRC Marsland are 3mm, Richard's 2mm. Richard's do clear the galv from all bolt holes and re-tap threads, unlike Marsland.

I thought Marsland stopped exporting to the USA because of legal issues?

Strathearn Engineering in Auchterarder might be another source. (was Crow Engineering)

Designa chassis make their own coil sprung Series chassis, but their leaf spung chassis are Marsland built with an extra handling charge.

Paddocks has discounted Marsland chassis available if you have access to a container, some clubs get together as do individuals for big shipments like that.

fruitpunch
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Couple ramblings from fruity....

Marsland had the 109 stw frame wrong for a long time, I also have heard rumors of other little errors. They basicly make them in bulk to be the cheapest in terms of price.

Richards, ex Steve Walker chassis used to be the best in terms of originality and quality, but since Steve left(was forced out) or what ever you want to call it things have been down hill. They have stopped making Series 1 frames, and the quality of the SII(a) and III frames has dropped as per account on various BBS's.

I doubt you will see any US makers of frames anytime soon, as it seems steel is at a premium in the US.

Overall I think Marsland is the smartest option in the US, price and quality being the top reasons.

Lastly Series 1 frames it the only difficult one, either finding a solid donor or getting somehow onto the list for a walker frame which is more then tricky.

yorker
04-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Considering the price of USA made frames for Jeeps, FJ-40s etc the English LR frames are an awesome deal. $1600+_ for a SWB frame really isn't that bad. A similar box frame for a jeep probably costs $1000 more, I'm pretty sure I just saw some advertised for a YJ for $2700! And man they were bragging about the "new designed galvanized frames" We Rover owners have had galvy frames as replacement since whjat? 1971 or so?

J!m
04-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I have an older Marsland (welded cross member) under my 88 and I am quite pleased with it. I had to chase/tap/drill out the holes, but so what? if you are doing a frame-over you had better have a freakin' tap and die set in your box!

I have bashed the crap out of this frame in several countries, and have had no problems (with the frame).

I believe (but can not confirm) RN uses Marsland for their frames, and the price is low because they deal in so much volume from them.