PDA

View Full Version : best source for a 3.5L

rejeep
12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
again toying around with ideas...
What is the best outlet for the earlier carb version of the engine?

Terrys
12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey Arie, I've got a good 3.9 shortblock you're welcome to. It's been sitting in the front of the carriage house for a couple years without heads, so it'l need honing. I have a couple sets of heads, but no carbed intakes.

siiirhd88
12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I've used an injected 3.9 V8 converted to a 4V carb on two of my Series trucks. There are lots of 3.9s around, compared to 3.5 availability. On both trucks I used an Edelbrock intake with a Holley 600 carb, and replaced the Rover distributor with a Mallory Unilite. Neither truck has required ignition or carb maintenance in a few years of use.

Bob

again toying around with ideas...
What is the best outlet for the earlier carb version of the engine?

mongoswede
12-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I have a 3.5 sitting in my parts range rover....runs well...its injected though.

109 Pretender
12-22-2010, 08:09 AM
The 3.5 isn't as common as a 3.9 and the 3.9 has a better block. You could easily fit the 3.5 valve covers and obtain a dual SU manifold off ebay. My 109 has a "carbed" 3.9 and I personally like the SU setup. From what I understand, the 4 barrel carb setups always seem to have some drivability issues.

The SU manifolds are fairly common in US because of the old Rover 3500. I think I paid about 300.00 for a spare setup a few years ago from ebay. I converted to a manual choke.

I wouldn't recommend using the LR series trans. though. Timm Cooper is building me a NP435 to series transfer adapter as I write this - after a year of waiting for Ike to get his version built, I had to move on...

Good Luck!

Firemanshort
12-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I am in the 3.5 owners circle. This is the motor that lauched a thousand Rovers (cars and trucks). I may take exception with the notion that the 3.9 has the better block. It can be argued a lot of different ways but a 3.5 will never pull up laim with a slipped liner.

I am rebuilding my 3.5 (instead of going BIG for a 3.9, 4.0 or the 4.6). For a Series class rover (think light and simple) the 3.5 with either the SU or the Edelbrock if fine. It is all I have had and I keep up with the coiled-crowd - on highway and off.

Depending on a few things - that 3.5 EFI rangie motor could be swapped to a carb and run quite well. It would lose some of the EFI magic but gain a ton of simplicity. I know there are many wrenchers on the BBS circuit that swear a simple EFI set up is not hard - but I am very happy with my old fashioned carb.

As far as sources... look up D&D Fabrication for a top shelf engine (www.aluminumv8.com). RPI in the UK is another source. Both are a little spendy but are high quality operations. Look in your friend's sheds for great donor 3.9's. You can occasionally find a junkyard Range Rover 3.5 (EFI). The Rover 3500 sedans are rarer but that same motor again. Also search on Buick 215 - 1963 Buick Special, among others (same motor) - there are a few rebuilders that list a Buick 215 crate engine that you could do something with.

The magic to stay with a dizzy and not go to electronics and EFI is in the timing cover. The newer motor (4.0's or 4.6's) timing covers do not support the CARB and dizzy setup. The older timing covers will transplant but are a little tough to find for a good price.

junkyddog11
12-23-2010, 07:23 AM
I have 3.5's / 3.9's (personally I'd use the 3.9, de tuned a little. It is difficult to tell the difference between 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.0) I have carbs, manifolds, injection systems (I've had great success with hotwire EFI transplants). In fact I have way too much. Will be clearing out a ton of engines / parts soon.

rejeep
12-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I have 3.5's / 3.9's (personally I'd use the 3.9, de tuned a little. It is difficult to tell the difference between 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.0) I have carbs, manifolds, injection systems (I've had great success with hotwire EFI transplants). In fact I have way too much. Will be clearing out a ton of engines / parts soon.

Matt..
I spoke to you on the phone yesterday :D

rejeep
12-23-2010, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Firemanshort;63812] Also search on Buick 215 - 1963 Buick Special, among others (same motor) - there are a few rebuilders that list a Buick 215 crate engine that you could do something with.[QUOTE]

is the bellhousing the samae? I thought it was re tooled.. I can get one of thoes motors easy...

yorker
12-23-2010, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=Firemanshort;63812] Also search on Buick 215 - 1963 Buick Special, among others (same motor) - there are a few rebuilders that list a Buick 215 crate engine that you could do something with.[QUOTE]

is the bellhousing the samae? I thought it was re tooled.. I can get one of thoes motors easy...

Rover used the Buick/Olds 215's bolt pattern which was unique to that Aluminum 215 V8 (non BOP pattern).

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofjet.htm
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/GM-215-Engine-Identification.htm

It would be a fun engine in a flatfender. ;) In a Rover I honestly think you could do a lot better.

junkyddog11
12-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Ahh yes. Not sure how I missed that 'cause I read the whole post ....honest.

Nice chatting with you Arie.