PDA

View Full Version : air cleaner disassembly

kwd509
12-22-2010, 09:34 AM
There must be less to this than meets the eye......

My air cleaner (64 series 2a diesel) does not appear to match what is seen in the green bible. And the wire mesh appears fixed within the upper housing.

IN the diagrams, removing the 3 clips on the bottom would seem to allow the mesh and a rubber gasket to simply fall out of the upper housing. Sounds simple...... IN my case the mesh appears fastened to the upper housing by a metal retaining ring that circles the housing and has a lip holding the mesh up......

This should be a no brainer, and yet I'm stumped.

Lucky
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
There is a screw on top of the assembly... ;-)

kwd509
12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
There is a screw on top of the assembly... ;-)
Fits internal vanes and fastens the cover to the housing but not providing an apparent fixing to holding the mesh in......

stomper
12-22-2010, 01:00 PM
The wire mesh sits in a bright aluminum canister, and this must be what you are thinking is the metal retaining ring. You have to slide the entire aluminum canister out of the black metal housing. It may be binding if you don't slide the aluminum out evenly, or it may need a little more effort, as yours has been sitting a while.

To get mine out, I used a large bolt with a drywall type anchor on the end. it slides into the center hole of the air filter, and then swivels to create a "T", that anchored itself behind the wire mesh and aluminum canister/cartridge. a couple of jerks, and it popped out.