PDA

View Full Version : Does K Seal Work?

Bostonian1976
12-22-2010, 12:57 PM
HI all - sorry this is my first post in awhile and it doesn't have any Rover content, but I figured you all would be familiar with this product.

I bought a 975 dollar 2000 Subaru Outback in nice shape other than the 250k miles on it for a winter beater. Well - coolant is disappearing and I think it has the usual 2.5l head gasket problem.

I would always 'do the job right' on other vehicles, but since this is a 975 dollar car and I just want it to run for the next few winters...what do you think? Is this stuff really as good as people tout it to be? Any experiences would be helpful. I noticed another Rover parts place sells it, which gave it some credibility to me...

thanks in advance

mongoswede
12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I guess it all depends on how much you like walking in the cold...

never heard of K seal but those products generally are good at buying you a month or two of time at most. I'd be wary of a quick fix for a failing head gasket.

Donnie
12-23-2010, 05:46 PM
HI all - sorry this is my first post in awhile and it doesn't have any Rover content, but I figured you all would be familiar with this product.

I bought a 975 dollar 2000 Subaru Outback in nice shape other than the 250k miles on it for a winter beater. Well - coolant is disappearing and I think it has the usual 2.5l head gasket problem.

I would always 'do the job right' on other vehicles, but since this is a 975 dollar car and I just want it to run for the next few winters...what do you think? Is this stuff really as good as people tout it to be? Any experiences would be helpful. I noticed another Rover parts place sells it, which gave it some credibility to me...

thanks in advance
sell that car 4 what u can get out of it & take your losses. There is no quick fix for this problem.. The problem was solved in production a couple of years later. Not sure of the date..........when buying an older Sub. stick with the 2.2 engine..

jac04
12-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Buy the Subaru cooling sytem conditioner. It is basically the same stop-leak stuff but in a Subaru bottle. It has fixed at least one fairly bad 2.5 head gasket coolant leak that I'm aware of.

lrdukdog
12-23-2010, 07:10 PM
According to Click and Clack Subaru makes a substance just for their crappy head gaskets. It's suppose to stop the leaking they are famous for.
www.cartalk.com (http://www.cartalk.com)
Jim Wolf

jac04
12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
^^Yeah, it's called Subaru Cooling System Conditioner as I mentioned above. Subaru part number SOA635071. It's basically Holt's RadWeld, which is a stop-leak product. Subaru calls for it to be added to the coolant at every coolant change for many 2.5 engines. Reference Subaru Tech Bulletin WWP-99.