PDA

View Full Version : Gear shift rod - angle mod help ?

mrdoiron
12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Posting here on this thread as well as another to try an get some feedback/advice/leads...
I have a LT77 gearbox on a RHD of a hybrid mod, and the shift lever essentially is straight vertical to the knob. Problem is the Reverse on this is up and the left (by 1st), and I almost need to lean to get it into R, and there is not a natural / easy feel even to slide to 1st due to the reach required.

I am searching for any experience / advice on how to resolve buy either :
1. Ideally a custom offering of a shaft angled toward the driver somewhere to resolve ? (again would need to angle toward driver on right in my case) , or
2. Tips on how to heat up/bend the existing shaft without causing another problem, weakening the shaft and creating a potential 'snap point' etc...

Any leads/tips greatly appreciated, mike

Les Parker
12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Have you tried moving it around a couple of splines to re-direct the position of the gear knob?

mrdoiron
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Have you tried moving it around a couple of splines to re-direct the position of the gear knob?

No I haven't - I'll take a look and also post a pic later...
thx

mrdoiron
12-23-2010, 09:40 PM
No I haven't - I'll take a look and also post a pic later...
thx

I thought I could move the gearshift lever on it [LT77 'box], by undoing the Lock nut which holds the gearshift lever to the top of the selector mechanism, lifting up the gearshift lever from its mounting splines and repositioning it so that the knob was nearer to the steering wheel.
...My theory anyway.. but the nut at the top is super tight, I can't loosen, at least not with a small hand wrench as it just strips the nut and doesn't loosen for some reason... I hit it with WD40 and I'll wait, but seems way too tight. Any chance that is a reverse thread on these ?

siiirhd88
12-24-2010, 08:41 AM
I don't know about the LT-77 but the R380 shift handle nut is normal thread. I can't see the need for a reverse thread for that application, but then again it is a Rover....

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

mrdoiron
12-24-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't know about the LT-77 but the R380 shift handle nut is normal thread. I can't see the need for a reverse thread for that application, but then again it is a Rover....

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

I managed to get the nut loose with a longer wrench (17mm) for better leverage... the smaller hand wrench I was using just didn't cut it... got the gearshift repositioned and works great now - much more natural angle as you can see from the picture here, especially given the right hand drive and shifting with left...

mike

Les Parker
01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Persistance pays off!
Glad you managed to sort the issue without the gas axe.

:thumb-up:

mrdoiron
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Persistance pays off!
Glad you managed to sort the issue without the gas axe.

:thumb-up:

For sure, got a great set of Husky reversible ratcheting wrenches - very noce investment !

cheers, mike

phoenix
02-06-2011, 03:43 PM
For sure, got a great set of Husky reversible ratcheting wrenches - very noce investment !

cheers, mike
very nice addition to any toolbox indeed, possibly the best tool in my toolbox.
ratcheting wrenches.