PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fluid Check- Need Manual Page

RoverForm
12-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Anyone have a scan or pic of the trans fluid level check from the green bible?

There was green fluid on the floor under the trans, not sure where it came from.

Thank you!

Terrys
12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Green sure sounds like antifreeze.
To check and fill the transmission, remove the square headed plug on the side of the gearbox, and fill there till it comes out the hole.

RoverForm
12-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Green sure sounds like antifreeze.
i know, that's what i first thought. on closer inspection it was nowhere near the radiator, but directly under the trans drain plug. also, it had zero radiator coolant odor but did have a greasy viscosity to it...

To check and fill the transmission, remove the square headed plug on the side of the gearbox, and fill there till it comes out the hole.
i'll take a look...

artpeck
12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Sounds like it is more likely fluid from the clutch slave cylinder depending on what hydraulic fuild you use. I personally haven't seen a green 90 wt.

RoverForm
12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
that would make more sense...

RoverForm
12-24-2010, 11:25 AM
checked the fluid in the clutch slave cylinder and the fluid matches that which was pooling on the ground.

here's the interesting bit, i'll drive the truck around town, park it at home, and then check underneath periodically. Usually takes about 24 to 48 hours for the first signs of any fluid on the ground.

so... why is there a delay for the leak to start? does cooling need to occur where the leak is before the fluid can be released?

and it isn't much fluid, maybe 1/4 a cup. but not continuous... if i clean it up, it doesn't come back until after i drive it again.

Tim Smith
12-24-2010, 02:04 PM
A 1/4 cup is a hell of a lot if you are talking about the clutch system. You should be noticing the level drop if that were indeed the source.

If it were coolant (say dripping from the back of your head gasket), then you really wouldn't be noticing the system level drop as much. Sure it's not coolant? It may sound crazy, but I would taste a tiny tiny bit to be sure. Sweet, then it's coolant. Tangy, yucky, spit it out bad, then it's hydraulic. ;)

artpeck
12-25-2010, 09:22 AM
You should also clearly notice the drop in level in the master reservoir as it doesn't hold all that much and a couple of ounces would be noticeable. If you aren't it is the clutch. If it is clutch fluid it clearly has a slow leak most likely from a seal that is heading south. It could take a while to show up simply because it is a minor leak and at rest the system only has a small amount of residual pressure. And if it is clutch fluid you need to figure out the source and repair as it will most like fail catastrophically at some point that probably won't be in your driveway.

It seems you have a Series II so I don't know exactly how tough a repair it is for your truck. On my SIII it was 10 minutes and then bleeding the system. Easy.

An alternative to tasting would be to saturate a tissue with what has dripped out and light it on fire. While coolant is technically flammable it's flash point is way Higher than hydraulic fluid.

Terrys
12-25-2010, 10:56 AM
However you test for it; tasting it or burning it (Tim and I might be the only ones crazy enough to do this) I wouldn't rule out antifreeze solely based on where it seems to be dripping from. If I recall correctly, a less-than-common occurance of late, there's a freeze plug on the back side of the block, facing the bulkhead. If that's weeping, it will drip down the bellhousing, and depending on which side it eventually drips off from, may very well be right about where the slave is. That's the fun part of chasing leaks; they rarely occur directly above the evidence.
Still, I have never seen green brake fluid, and as much as a 1/4 cup would about drain the MC reservoir, but hardly be noticeable from the rad.

Sputnicker
12-25-2010, 11:12 AM
There are also heater hoses, valves and connections near the back of the head that could be leaking. If it is truly hydraulic fluid (I've never seen green either except on Citroens and mid 70s Maseratis), it sometimes leaks slowly because fluid bypasses the cylinder into the volume behind the boot and then leaks slowly from around the boot. If you pull back the boot, you should be able to tell if it's been leaking.

RoverForm
12-25-2010, 11:53 AM
An alternative to tasting would be to saturate a tissue with what has dripped out and light it on fire. While coolant is technically flammable it's flash point is way Higher than hydraulic fluid.
so what you're saying here is that if it's hydraulic, it will light up rather quickly?

That's the fun part of chasing leaks; they rarely occur directly above the evidence.
painfully true.

while it is green i really don't think it's coolant. it's just too greasy and as i said, it has zero coolant odor. however, the MC reservoir is still quite full and the fluid inside matches what's under the truck in both viscosity and odor... and i might dab a little on the tongue just to say i've done it.

luckily i just unwrapped the green bible today so i won't have to ask for page scans anymore!

i think i will take and post a couple of shots for y'all to look at...

RoverForm
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
so... after a more thorough and deliberate diagnostic, the following is what i have found thus far:

first: took some fluid samples of the suspected culprits
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/5307234049_dd736d9d68.jpg

from the samples it clearly looks like coolant. so, never one to shy away from trying "new" things, i decided to do a little taste test (which by-the-way, now means i'm as crazy as terry and tim). anyway, i put a drop of the green on the tip of my finger and... absolutely disgusting! but sweet. so that would confirm the suspicions of those who proposed the coolant theory. ultimately decided not to taste the other two.

so if its coolant, where is it coming from? well...

second: fresh drips on the floor after a few circles around the block:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5005/5307230833_8a04120b61.jpg

then: traced it to the 'transmission housing' (proper name?) :
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5307820890_2999f640ac.jpg

finally: up to the base of the engine block where the sump attaches:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5166/5307824872_4417d3f526.jpg

and that's as far as i can trace it.

any input?

i still haven't located this freeze plug:

If I recall correctly, a less-than-common occurance of late, there's a freeze plug on the back side of the block, facing the bulkhead. If that's weeping, it will drip down the belhousing, and depending on which side it eventually drips off from, may very well be right about where the slave is.

Terrys
12-30-2010, 04:34 PM
If you reach down, along the back of the engine, below the head, you'll feel the freeze plug. That said, and together with what I previously said about them rarely landing driectly beneath their source, one of you photos appears to be the sump. If thats correctly, it could actually be coming from the front of the engine, i.e. the water pump area, dripping down the front, tracking down the edge of the sump, and, well, you get the picture.

Have you ever tried to type with band-aids on three finger tips?

RoverForm
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Have you ever tried to type with band-aids on three finger tips?
ha! after that little photo shoot this morning, i am typing today with only one band-aid on one finger. but congratulations on your success. land rover injury?

i'll go take a look for the freeze plug and check the water pump. thanx!