PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 109 5 door

Skookumchuck
12-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I have the oppertunity to pick up a 1979 stage 1 109 5 door with the V8, it looks to be in great shape except for the paint job. What would a appropreate color be to repaint the Landy? It was origionaly Limestone but I was thinking of going dark green or red. any ideas as to the colors offered in 1979? Thanks

Terrys
12-28-2010, 05:57 AM
I have the oppertunity to pick up a 1979 stage 1 109 5 door with the V8,That's redundant.
What would a appropreate color be to repaint the Landy? It was origionaly Limestone but I was thinking of going dark green or red. any ideas as to the colors offered in 1979? Thanks

When the Stage One came out, there were several new colors added to the original few. My son's is Lincoln Green, which is a nice earthy color.
I know I am not the only one who gets a little turned off by a color-changing paint job that only goes halfway. Open up the bonnet to find an entirely different color, or inside the truck. There aren't any rules, but I like to see resprays kept to original colors for the model. I think the majority of them were Limestone.
You will like the truck in general. They can be pretty quick. My son has a 3.9 with Edelbrock 500cfm 4 barrel, and also on parabolics and 33" tires. Honestly, it's very quick, and faster than my 4.2 Defender 110. ( which is no slouch)
The LT95 integral trans/TC is very strong. The vacuum operated difflock often isn't working and almost always a broken plastic tube.
Pick up a copy of the Jan issue of Land Rover Monthly. They ran a feature article on the Stage One. There are two websites devoted to only that truck, and a club in the UK for the few they have over there.

Skookumchuck
12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Thnks for the info Terry. Here are some pics of the truck it was origionaly purchased by the Swiss government then into a private collector in Switzerland then to a guy in Canada and soon to be mine. From the pics it was Limestone from the factory. Does anyone have the paint match for what paint I sould buy and if Napa or Lordco would carry it? thanks again.:thumb-up:

TeriAnn
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
What would a appropreate color be to repaint the Landy? It was origionaly Limestone but I was thinking of going dark green or red. any ideas as to the colors offered in 1979? Thanks

Some other colours for a Stage I include Masai red (used on stage I and Country models), Java green (only used on Stage I) and Pageant blue, also an exclusive Stage I colour.

But if you change the body colour I agree with others, you should be willing to remove the entire front clip and have it painted off the truck; strip and clean the bulkhead to repaint it and remove the roof, strip the interior & gauges to repaint the interior. Having done it I know it is a lot of work but the result are very well worth the effort if you are going to change the colour. If you paint the outside one colour and leave the inside another you will regret it.

And you might want to use some paint remover and a scraper on the galvanized surfaces then mask those off when you repaint.

Terrys
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Worst zebra job I have ever seen. Swiss Stage ones are the best to find, as they are well maintained and LHD.
Limestone is known as NCJ, Code is LRC.007
I'd go to your local autobody and paint supply guy. There are many good suppliers; Glazurit, Pittsburgh, Benjamin Moore, Dupont. Each has their own code but LRC.007 is the same in all languages.

I Leak Oil
12-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Worst zebra job I have ever seen.

I have to agree 100%! My God that is awful! Very cool truck though. You should be able to take any of the codes to a paint shop and have them mix you up what ever color you choose. I've always been a sucker for a 5 door wearing marine blue....

yorker
12-28-2010, 11:27 AM
That Stage 1 would look very nice all Limestone- I've always thought that was a nice overall paint scheme.

leafsprung
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
my stage one is Java Green. very 70s/80s color. Looks pretty cool. If you dont want limestone, paint it whatever you like. No matter what you do it will be an improvement on the zebra so I dont think you should feel pressured to disassemble the car to paint it "properly" Cool truck :thumb-up:

siii8873
12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
dupont color code is 38505A

Terrys
12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Good one TeriAnn, I was so put off by the "zebra" stripes, I didn't even see the painted galvy (another of my pet peeves)

lrdukdog
12-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok how much? Oh, and yes that is a very ugly paint job:(, it crys out to be Xterra Atomic Orange:thumb-up:.
I had a new 1980 stage one as a company vehicle when I worked in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia damn nice and outstanding in soft sand.
Jim Wolf
Mine was dark blue and I had the company SSOC ( Saudi Services and Operating Company) install two additional tanks under the front seats. I really like the Stage one's

disco2hse
12-29-2010, 11:39 PM
And is it painted silver between the stripes? :sly: oooff

Check out http://stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/ for a dedicated forum (one or two others here are on it) and you will also find on the site the colour codes etc. There are also links to a wealth of manuals we've collected together at http://www.landroverv8.com (http://www.landroverv8.com/). A number of the parts on it are unique. While you're there how about adding your vehicle to the Stage 1 register :)

Limestone is a good colour. Doesn't show the dirt and ages well (unlike some of the other colours like pageant blue, which fades).

Mine cruises happily at 100km/hr and has done up to about 130, but things get a little shakey at that speed :rolleyes:

Firemanshort
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I missed this thread while I was on Christmas vacation.

Stage Ones are the coolest. ;)

Skookumchuck
12-30-2010, 03:13 PM
She was origionaly Limestone and is still that color under the bonnet and inside. Here are some more pics of her. I am almost as excited to get her as I was on my wedding night.

disco2hse
12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
She was origionaly Limestone and is still that color under the bonnet and inside.

Should be a fairly straightforward repaint then :)

I am almost as excited to get her as I was on my wedding night.

Little too much information :p:D

Terrys
12-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Try these two also:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Stage_One_reg_rare.htm

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk

I like to send the people who argue there is no such thing as an SWB Stage One to the first one.

leafsprung
12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
swb wasnt really a production model . . . Its like saying there were swb forward controls . . .

disco2hse
12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
swb wasnt really a production model . . . Its like saying there were swb forward controls . . .

They went through a prototyping and design phase, after which they were made on a production line, in a production factory, for customers to buy. What makes that not a production model? The volume of production is irrelevant. If they were produced it is because they were a production model.

What would you call a 101 forward control? Certainly not a long wheel base.

leafsprung
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
No I dont think 20 odd examples counts as a standard production model They aren't listed as a production model, nor supported by factory literature (sales brochures, parts catalogs etc.) Nor do they fit the VIN numbering scheme. No I dont consider the 101 to be SWB. This is a swb FC:

http://maltelec.no-ip.org/das/88InchFC%27s_files/image002.jpg

Terrys
12-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't disagree. Though 24 is more than a prototype, it doesn't make it a 'production' model. I was merely pointing out to the nay sayers that there IS such a thing as a SWB Stage One. 2 of the Trinidadians are on Tortola, and, having seen them, there is nothing prototypical about them . . .

leafsprung
12-30-2010, 10:51 PM
there were 48 land rover prototypes . . . I have some customers in Trinidad, I will have to have them keep an eye out. I had forgotten that that is where they went. Would be a cool truck though the ultimate stage one has to be the isuzu powered ones from OZ

Terrys
12-31-2010, 05:23 AM
there were 48 land rover prototypes . . . I have some customers in Trinidad, I will have to have them keep an eye out. I had forgotten that that is where they went. Would be a cool truck though the ultimate stage one has to be the isuzu powered ones from OZMy son's started out from OZ, went to Kenya, but it came here as a 3.5, and is now a 3.9
The 2 SWBs I know wento ver to Neville and Theo Burke. Nevilles dad was the first LR dealer in the Carribean.
48 Stage One swb prototypes? that's interesting, I wonder where the others went, and if they were special orders or just the limited production models after the first 4 prototypes. All the literature I've seen said 4 prototypes, and 24 production (sic) vehicles. James Taylor did a piece on them. I don't recall if he said 'limited production, or 'production' Who cares, it's splitting hairs.
The swb FC is very funky looking, more so than a regular 2B.
Do you have a Stage One? Have you made a winch bumper for it? PM me if you want to do another.

Skookumchuck
12-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Will a standard 110 winch bumber fit the Stage one or do I need to order one for a 109? also what bull bar and possibly a new rear bumper with a reciever hitch. thanks in advance for the answer.

leafsprung
12-31-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a stage one (1981 3 door java green). I was going to make a winch bumper for it. It has the weird bumper bracket things on the front of the frame horns. Im guessing yours is the same? I dont think a series or defender bumper would fit nicely.

-Ike

Skookumchuck
12-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Is there anyone that you know who has ade on or it just a custom job deal?

Firemanshort
12-31-2010, 10:55 PM
The Stage One has just enough frame and body from both the Series and the Defender that neither a Series or Defender bumper will fit.

I am not aware of anyone that sells a current production winch bumper for the Stage One.

I built my own with some help.... (there was a whole write up on the old G&R forum but I can not access it now - and I lost my build photos in a hard drive crash)

Basically, this is a 4x4 square tube of 3/16th thick steel with the center cut out and folder forward. Custom mounts to the frame to mimic a Series bumper mount (with some extra beef added).

lrdukdog
12-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Here ya' go http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/5499/t/Stage-One-Winch-Bumper.html
We need to keep this stuff.
Jim Wolf

Terrys
01-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Firemanshort, I remember your bumper from G&R and thought it was the most professional custom I had seen. I think you should consider making some more. I inquired of another custom builder who makes series stuff, but never got an answer.
A series bumper will go on a stage one, but it's to close to the radiator panel and front edges of the wings. I recall having to do some grinding, but the hole spacing on the hornswas the same. It didn't look right but better than the Roo bumper from Oz, via Africa

Firemanshort
01-01-2011, 09:16 AM
re: a series bumper - the Stage One has some extender platers that move the Series bumper forward. The attached photo - you can see the metal tabs extending from the frame horn - those bolt on / bolt off.

Most Series bumpers mount the winch to the rear of the bumper so the winch fits in the space made by the recessed radiator panel. This does not work for the Stage One since the radiator is moved forward.

I would love to play in the garage and make steel bits for Land Rovers. I fear that the Stage One demand nationally would only be about 6 (maybe 10) and my skills are way to amatuear to inflict on anyone else.

Skookumchuck
01-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info and the link I am going to build a winch bumer as soon as I get the truck here. You did a great job on it.

Terrys
01-01-2011, 10:06 AM
re: a series bumper - the Stage One has some extender platers that move the Series bumper forward......... my skills are way to amatuear to inflict on anyone else.
The brakets seemed like an afterthought. ours were cracked.
There are amateurs, and then there are those that are only amateurs because they're not in the buisness, not to mention the ones in business who are amateurish.