X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skookumchuck
    2nd Gear
    • Oct 2010

Stage 1 109 5 door

I have the oppertunity to pick up a 1979 stage 1 109 5 door with the V8, it looks to be in great shape except for the paint job. What would a appropreate color be to repaint the Landy? It was origionaly Limestone but I was thinking of going dark green or red. any ideas as to the colors offered in 1979? Thanks
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)
  • Terrys
    Overdrive
    • May 2007

Originally posted by Skookumchuck
    I have the oppertunity to pick up a 1979 stage 1 109 5 door with the V8,
    That's redundant.
    What would a appropreate color be to repaint the Landy? It was origionaly Limestone but I was thinking of going dark green or red. any ideas as to the colors offered in 1979? Thanks
    When the Stage One came out, there were several new colors added to the original few. My son's is Lincoln Green, which is a nice earthy color.
    I know I am not the only one who gets a little turned off by a color-changing paint job that only goes halfway. Open up the bonnet to find an entirely different color, or inside the truck. There aren't any rules, but I like to see resprays kept to original colors for the model. I think the majority of them were Limestone.
    You will like the truck in general. They can be pretty quick. My son has a 3.9 with Edelbrock 500cfm 4 barrel, and also on parabolics and 33" tires. Honestly, it's very quick, and faster than my 4.2 Defender 110. ( which is no slouch)
    The LT95 integral trans/TC is very strong. The vacuum operated difflock often isn't working and almost always a broken plastic tube.
    Pick up a copy of the Jan issue of Land Rover Monthly. They ran a feature article on the Stage One. There are two websites devoted to only that truck, and a club in the UK for the few they have over there.

Comment

• Skookumchuck
      2nd Gear
      • Oct 2010

Thnks for the info Terry. Here are some pics of the truck it was origionaly purchased by the Swiss government then into a private collector in Switzerland then to a guy in Canada and soon to be mine. From the pics it was Limestone from the factory. Does anyone have the paint match for what paint I sould buy and if Napa or Lordco would carry it? thanks again.
      1968 Series IIA
      1987 D90 Kid's project

Comment

• TeriAnn
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

What would a appropreate color be to repaint the Landy? It was origionaly Limestone but I was thinking of going dark green or red. any ideas as to the colors offered in 1979? Thanks
        Some other colours for a Stage I include Masai red (used on stage I and Country models), Java green (only used on Stage I) and Pageant blue, also an exclusive Stage I colour.

But if you change the body colour I agree with others, you should be willing to remove the entire front clip and have it painted off the truck; strip and clean the bulkhead to repaint it and remove the roof, strip the interior & gauges to repaint the interior. Having done it I know it is a lot of work but the result are very well worth the effort if you are going to change the colour. If you paint the outside one colour and leave the inside another you will regret it.

And you might want to use some paint remover and a scraper on the galvanized surfaces then mask those off when you repaint.
        -

Teriann Wakeman_________
        Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• Terrys
          Overdrive
          • May 2007

Worst zebra job I have ever seen. Swiss Stage ones are the best to find, as they are well maintained and LHD.
          Limestone is known as NCJ, Code is LRC.007
          I'd go to your local autobody and paint supply guy. There are many good suppliers; Glazurit, Pittsburgh, Benjamin Moore, Dupont. Each has their own code but LRC.007 is the same in all languages.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Terrys
            Worst zebra job I have ever seen.
            I have to agree 100%! My God that is awful! Very cool truck though. You should be able to take any of the codes to a paint shop and have them mix you up what ever color you choose. I've always been a sucker for a 5 door wearing marine blue....
            Jason
            "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• yorker
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

That Stage 1 would look very nice all Limestone- I've always thought that was a nice overall paint scheme.
              1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• leafsprung
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

my stage one is Java Green. very 70s/80s color. Looks pretty cool. If you dont want limestone, paint it whatever you like. No matter what you do it will be an improvement on the zebra so I dont think you should feel pressured to disassemble the car to paint it "properly" Cool truck

Comment

• siii8873
                  Overdrive
                  • Jul 2007

dupont color code is 38505A
                  THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
                  THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
                  THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
                  THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
                  THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
                  THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• Terrys
                    Overdrive
                    • May 2007

Good one TeriAnn, I was so put off by the "zebra" stripes, I didn't even see the painted galvy (another of my pet peeves)

Comment

• lrdukdog
                      3rd Gear
                      • Nov 2006

109 SW

Ok how much? Oh, and yes that is a very ugly paint job, it crys out to be Xterra Atomic Orange.
                      I had a new 1980 stage one as a company vehicle when I worked in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia damn nice and outstanding in soft sand.
                      Jim Wolf
                      Mine was dark blue and I had the company SSOC ( Saudi Services and Operating Company) install two additional tanks under the front seats. I really like the Stage one's
                      Last edited by lrdukdog; 12-30-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• disco2hse
                        4th Gear
                        • Jul 2010

And is it painted silver between the stripes? oooff

Check out http://stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/ for a dedicated forum (one or two others here are on it) and you will also find on the site the colour codes etc. There are also links to a wealth of manuals we've collected together at http://www.landroverv8.com. A number of the parts on it are unique. While you're there how about adding your vehicle to the Stage 1 register

Limestone is a good colour. Doesn't show the dirt and ages well (unlike some of the other colours like pageant blue, which fades).

Mine cruises happily at 100km/hr and has done up to about 130, but things get a little shakey at that speed
                        Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
                        2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

• Firemanshort
                          2nd Gear
                          • Nov 2006

I missed this thread while I was on Christmas vacation.

Stage Ones are the coolest.
                          Firemanshort
                          1980 Stage One
                          (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Comment

• Skookumchuck
                            2nd Gear
                            • Oct 2010

She was origionaly Limestone and is still that color under the bonnet and inside. Here are some more pics of her. I am almost as excited to get her as I was on my wedding night.
                            1968 Series IIA
                            1987 D90 Kid's project

Comment

• disco2hse
                              4th Gear
                              • Jul 2010

She was origionaly Limestone and is still that color under the bonnet and inside.
                              Should be a fairly straightforward repaint then

I am almost as excited to get her as I was on my wedding night.
                              Little too much information
                              Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
                              2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

Working...