PDA

View Full Version : trouble removing starter motor

dipasqum
12-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a 67 IIa and I'm trying to remove the starter motor. I'm having a difficult time with it. the haynes book says to remove the heat shield and then the three bolts on the manifold pipe but of course there are no pictures in the book. Anybody have a diagram or can point me to one as well as a procedure to do so? The starter motor just grinds and doesn't engage the flywheel so I want to dismantle it but I can't get to it with the tools I have.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

graniterover
12-28-2010, 07:25 PM
The heat shield is just a thin piece of metal bolted onto the intake/exhaust manifolds. It's very possible it's not there.
The three bolts on the manifold pipe are where the manifold bolts to the downpipe.
Depending on the starter you have, it may be possible to sneak it out after unbolting it first. I've been able to get the starter out without removing the downpipe from the manifold, but I've also had to take it off before (different trucks).
Crappy pic here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9961692@N07/2881116982/sizes/l/in/set-72157607439080874/

Terrys
12-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Unbolt the two nuts holding the starter to the bellhousing, crank your steering all the way to the right, pull the end of the starter out and UP. When the bendix clears the opening, lower it down, bendix first. You do NOT need to unbolt the exhaust (saving yourself breaking off one or more of the exhaust studs). Goes back in in reverse of the removal direction.

andrew
12-28-2010, 07:30 PM
I've removed and re-installed the (stock) starter motor in my '70 IIa a half dozen times in the last 2 weeks. I have no heat shield but definitely do not have to disconnect the exhaust. Putting it in was achieved from above more or less, with some patient navigating. Get the bendix side in from any angle you can, then wiggle and you'll get it. I should note that I did remove the hood/bonnet, which was simple and a big help.

LaneRover
12-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Unbolt the two nuts holding the starter to the bellhousing, crank your steering all the way to the right, pull the end of the starter out and UP. When the bendix clears the opening, lower it down, bendix first. You do NOT need to unbolt the exhaust (saving yourself breaking off one or more of the exhaust studs). Goes back in in reverse of the removal direction.

I concur - always keep ahold of it otherwise just as you are getting frustrated because it isn't coming out it will suddenly just come out and possibly drop down on top of you -

dipasqum
12-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I will try and report back. thanks again!

Rineheitzgabot
12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
We've had this discussion before around here, and I know Terry knows 1000 times more than I do about Rovers, however, when I went through the same thing, I was certain that the exhaust manifold had to come off in order to get the starter out.

Terry stated that he has done it multiple times, but the only conclusion I could draw was that the specs on my manifold varied slightly, causing it to crowd the starter more. Perhaps I am the idiot that Terry may secretly think I am (he never even suggested it), but I don't know how it could be done.

If, for some reason, you have to remove the manifold, at least know that you're not alone.

-Gary

Rineheitzgabot
12-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Correction: I only removed the pipe. I did not remove the manifold from the head.