PDA

View Full Version : which one?

cousindave
12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
How do I find which transmission is in my series III??

JackIIA
12-30-2010, 10:44 AM
can't you just read the serial number on it? is it different than the IIA's or something??

cousindave
12-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Where is the #?

Terrys
12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Look on the vertical surface, right rear corner of the selector cover. That's the most common spot, but sometimes 'the new guy' put them elsewhere.
Yes, some very late 2As had all synchro boxes like early S3s.

JackIIA
12-30-2010, 06:20 PM
visual

cousindave
12-30-2010, 06:28 PM
JACKIIA: Thanks for the photo! What tranny is that mine has what looks like a pickle fork that holds that 1 1/2 inch circular cover in the top cover.

JackIIA
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
That's a IIA Suffix C box, normally not found in a late IIA (for what it's worth).

I thought the pickle fork you are referring to (fitting on the circular part) was a feature of the early boxes, as in a IIA gearbox, not in a III?? Maybe a III owner can clear that up.

People switch stuff around with these transmissions, surest way to figure out what you've got is to open it up and see about your synchros and layshaft. Hardly worth it unless you are tearing it down because of some problem. (You shouldn't need to know unless you are ordering parts for a rebuild.) Terriann has a good write up on this. Here is the link.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/gearboxes.htm

cousindave
12-31-2010, 07:42 AM
JACKIIA: Thanks again! I am getting ready for a rebuild( my reverse is ground down to nothing! I wanted to start researching parts pricing to see if its worth rebuilding or purchasing off another rig. As for the IIa III SWITCH, I know the PO had already switched the tranny in spain while on a trek to africa. So who knows what they replaced it with. I guess I'll have to wait until the tear down. Thanks!

siii8873
12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a SIII full syncro gearbox with the filler cap / flat spring arrangement.
Was told it was a military SIII box, not sure.