PDA

View Full Version : Salisbury question

Roverlab
12-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I have a customer with a S3 88" and failed rear diff. PArts have passed through the housing.
I have a leaf spring Salisbury axle and differential without hubs or backing plates, etc..
Will the exisiting 88" brake/hub/backing plates 1/2 shafts fit the Salisbury axle housing?

Thanks!

Trevor

solihull109
12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
YGM, and I might also have that base plate you are looking for. I'll check inventory later today.

Terrys
12-30-2010, 02:21 PM
The bolt circles are the same, so you could bolt the backing plates and stub axles on, but I can't say the outside to outside spacing of the hub faces is the same. Rover axles are plentiful and it seems a waste to use a Salisbury on an 88, especially one with smaller brakes. Salisbury back plates are scarce, and expensive, but I have a used set with drums. One wheel cylinder is leaking, but probably rebuildable. If you can figure out if Rover hub spacing is the same as Salisbury hub spacing, you could at least get the 11" brakes.
You're also going to have to figure out the roadspring fitment, which is different from Salisbury to Rover axle.
I couldn't figure out from your post if you have the salisbury half shafts, but they are not the same as 88, and 110 and 109 are different too.

graniterover
12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
The spring plates are most likely set for a 109 not an 88, so you'd end up cutting and rewelding them. Can't you just find a local housing? Waste of a sals I think!

leafsprung
12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
You could slap a sewer cap on the stock housing and it would be better than new. However, Ive had 5-6 88s with salsburies. The brakes fit fine, 1/2 shafts from the 88 will not fit, WMS to WMS is the same. Assembly works fine in an 88. Move the spring mounts and shorten the driveshaft 2 in. Im not sure why its wasteful. :confused:

Terry - whats the difference between the sals backing plate and the rover axle backing plate for a 109?? I seem to recall them having the same part number?

graniterover
12-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Im not sure why its wasteful. :confused:

I read it wrong. I thought he was trying to use the sals housing with rover diff and shafts.

Terrys
12-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Terry - whats the difference between the sals backing plate and the rover axle backing plate for a 109?? I seem to recall them having the same part number?
Ike, I'll tell you what I think, but everytime I get into rear brakes, especially on 109s, I need to go for a refresher.
The 109 went to 11" in late '71, prior to that was 10", but I don't recall a Salisbury with anything but 11", so maybe a late 2A Rover axle back plate could work. Here's where I get fuzzy, but even the late 2A 109 had a single adjuster, whereas a Salisbury had one for each shoe. I do know that's the case on the 110 Salisbury, only because I just changed them on my 110. Look under your Stage one and see if there two, or only one. I haven't got anything here to check, and my son's Stage one is closer to you than me (Kodiak,AK) This whole issue has me wondering what you said. Backing plates for a NAS110 are over $500 EACH, but RN has something listed as a '109' rear backing plate, late 2A and III, for about half that. Sometimes, it's harder to figure out something is the same, than changing something that isn't

leafsprung
12-31-2010, 09:47 PM
every LWB I have owned back to 56 has had the 11 inch brakes. The trucks up to 60 had a different backing plate but all the SIIAs and SIIIs have had the same back plate, sals or rover. I have seen some with different adjusters. AFAIK they are all interchangeable.

Terrys
01-01-2011, 08:28 AM
My gut says that's correct, but I can't remember what the difference was between my ExMod 2A109 (large stud) rear brakes and another set I had that came with a S3 5 door. I think the difference between 109 salisbury and 110 drum salisbury had something to do with the offset (AND $300+ per wheel.

I Leak Oil
01-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I have a customer with a S3 88" and failed rear diff. PArts have passed through the housing.
I have a leaf spring Salisbury axle and differential without hubs or backing plates, etc..
Will the exisiting 88" brake/hub/backing plates 1/2 shafts fit the Salisbury axle housing?

The old series half shafts won't do anything for you but yes, the hubs and backing plates will bolt right on. In fact, unless you're changing the front brakes to the 11" version you'd want to to swap the Salisbury to the regular 10" brakes anyway. The spring perches will need to be cut off and new ones welded on, the drive shaft will need to be shortened approximately 2".

I've converted my 88" to a Salisbury, and I have to say, for me it was worth it. It might not be worth it for everyone considering the relative cost and the fact that is reduces your ground clearance a little and if you screw it up you can create more problems than you fix.