PDA

View Full Version : Road tripping CO, WY,UT,NV,OR,CA.... 5000+ miles

onecross
01-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Hey Yall, I'm leaving Texas tomorrow to start on a 5000+ trip! It should be fun and i hope my 1960 series II 109 SW does at least as well as it did on its last long trip to the Grand Canyon... Since the Grand Canyon trip my rig has received: new rivet on door seals, water pump, rocky mt door tops, Tread wright M/T tires, hitch receiver, warn winch, rear floor mats, a better way series III style windshield wiper adapters so that the wipers will not be rendered useless when they have pressure applied from snow or ice and a freshly fabricated aluminum gas tank complements of a rock getting in the way of my original one! If you are along my route and have any advice on things to see in your great states feel free to send me a message. I will be sure to post pictures along way and i hope to meet some fellow Series owners!

-Mat

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/onecross/IMG_2521.jpg

TeriAnn
01-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Hi Matt,

If you are taking I40 you might happen to see a British Racing Green 1960 Dormobile with white top heading West from near McClean TX (just off I40), to Flagstaff (just off I 40). I expect to be on the highway Sunday morning with the Kodiak on full hot.

I was hoping to make another visit to the Chaco area to visit the ruins on the way back but it looks like I have a limited window before the next Flagstaff snow storm.

I'm wondering about your route since you didn't mention any states bordering Texas.

Take care & have a good trip

Skookumchuck
01-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Good luck on your trip have fun and be safe if you make it to BC Canada you have a free place to stay for a night or two. I have 7 Cabins that I rent out

onecross
01-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Matt,

If you are taking I40 you might happen to see a British Racing Green 1960 Dormobile with white top heading West from near McClean TX (just off I40), to Flagstaff (just off I 40). I expect to be on the highway Sunday morning with the Kodiak on full hot.

I was hoping to make another visit to the Chaco area to visit the ruins on the way back but it looks like I have a limited window before the next Flagstaff snow storm.

I'm wondering about your route since you didn't mention any states bordering Texas.

Take care & have a good trip

I'm actually headed to co. I messed up and put ca twice. Maybe ill see you in ca ill be there around the 14th

onecross
01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Good luck on your trip have fun and be safe if you make it to BC Canada you have a free place to stay for a night or two. I have 7 Cabins that I rent out

Thanks, I should be that way in about a year and a half

albersj51
01-01-2011, 11:58 AM
have fun and safe travels! My girlfriend and I are thinking about doing something similar in the spring...except we'll fly from SC to Seattle then rent a car for the multi state trip. post pics and let us know of any cool places along the route.

ducttape
01-01-2011, 05:03 PM
-Mat

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/onecross/IMG_2521.jpg
That is a superb picture. Now we all expect more! Safe and Happy Trails.

czenkov
01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Cool Series! If you need assistance or are going to spend any time in Salt Lake City - pm me - I will buy you a beer.

onecross
01-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Day 1- we went 750 miles and had to bleed the cluch 3 times.... looks like ill be needing a new master. Tomorrow we head steamboat springs co. Anyone around there.

Today lesson to one of my best friends.... you know you ate driving a series when you are praying for down hill momentom to carry the truck back up.

TeriAnn
01-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Day 1- we went 750 miles and had to bleed the cluch 3 times.... looks like ill be needing a new master. Tomorrow we head steamboat springs co. Anyone around there.

One thing I do in a situation like that is decide on an overnight location 2 days ahead (not all locations have one day shipping). Call them, ask them if it is OK to have a package shipped to you, prepay the stay, then call a LR parts place & have them ship overnight to your expected location ( or 2 day if the overnight location tells you that overnight service is not available there).

I had a front axle break in Eastern Montana snow once and had all the parts I needed to replace the front axle including seals, new inner bearing & race were sitting for me in a Moab campground when I arrived. There I swapped axles then went off roading in Moab. :thumb-up:

I guess it is about time to pack up and get out of Texas too. So there will be anther 1960 109 coming out of Texas and heading West in n hour or two.

Tim Smith
01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Make sure to monitor the pressure on your tires. I've never heard of treadwrights failing but being re-treads, you will want to make sure you aren't asking for a failure by being sloppy. Under-inflated tires could warm up and separate, which would obviously be a bad thing.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes for ya. You might also find the birmabright brotherhood (http://www.birmabrightbrotherhood.org/) helpful for finding like minded folks along the way. :thumb-up:

73series88
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
lucky
wish it was me
be safe
aaron

onecross
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Made it to steam boat. Pretty nice place for winter sports. I'm having master cluch shipped in as well as. Few odds and ends. Time to hit the slops!

onecross
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/onecross/landrover/IMAG0027.jpg

onecross
01-08-2011, 05:07 AM
Thursday a friend and I changed out the master clutch so that usury seams to have improved. I'm haveng an issue with the front brakes dumping fluid leaving the master resavor empty and making morning bleeding a requirement. I have only had this happen once time before this trip when I was in Colorado last year. Does anyone have advise on this problem? Thanks!

Tim Smith
01-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Thursday a friend and I changed out the master clutch so that usury seams to have improved. I'm haveng an issue with the front brakes dumping fluid leaving the master resavor empty and making morning bleeding a requirement. I have only had this happen once time before this trip when I was in Colorado last year. Does anyone have advise on this problem? Thanks!Not sure if I understand the problem but if the front brakes won't hold fluid then you will need to find the leak. I would focus on the flex line and the cylinders. Are they 11" brakes in front or 10? If 11 then I wonder if a frozen cylinder could cause the opposite one to pop out, so to speck.

onecross
01-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Not sure if I understand the problem but if the front brakes won't hold fluid then you will need to find the leak. I would focus on the flex line and the cylinders. Are they 11" brakes in front or 10? If 11 then I wonder if a frozen cylinder could cause the opposite one to pop out, so to speck.

Thank you for the response Tim. I'm pretty sure it has to do with bad rubber in the cylinders and looks to be coming out from the front brake cylinders... I'm in salt lake city Utah so maybe a fellow rover lover might give me a hand. Thanks again!

It's not a good feeling to be driving long and then realize that you only have the e.break as as a way to.stop!

slorocco
01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
If you go anywhere near West Yellowstone, you should think about renting a snowmobile for a day and run in to see Old Faithful, it's a fun ride.

wrighthm
01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey man, I was having a problem with my resevoir emptying itself as well. Driving to get breakfast one morning on break from work I noticed I was still rolling when I had the break pedal to the floor. I replaced both of my rear wheel cylinders after I drove home and parked in the exact spot I always do and noticed fluid under the rear tires. Its not the best way to problem solve by speculation, but if you know the things you are replacing havent been new in quite some time, you cant go wrong. Hope to drive mine a million miles somewhere, sometime soon.

onecross
01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey man, I was having a problem with my resevoir emptying itself as well. Driving to get breakfast one morning on break from work I noticed I was still rolling when I had the break pedal to the floor. I replaced both of my rear wheel cylinders after I drove home and parked in the exact spot I always do and noticed fluid under the rear tires. Its not the best way to problem solve by speculation, but if you know the things you are replacing havent been new in quite some time, you cant go wrong. Hope to drive mine a million miles somewhere, sometime soon.

Thanks man, I'm pretty sure my problem was the front wheel cylinders. So Today I put rebuild kits in which I hope they keep their fluid. Happy rovering