PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Landie BBQ

vandermeter
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Well fellas all I can say is that she's gone..burned up the smoke and flame and peeled paint of my true heart. Started her this morning,reset the choke letting her idle with her usual optimism,only to return from the garage to the horror of her demise and enflagemation. End of an Era.

What went wrong...electrical source I think. right of engine under or beneath the passenger wing.Last thing that would'nt extinquish..really hard to put out in fact meaning me a hose an half hour after the engine block cooled.

The aftermath...everything combustable gone..hood warped,wings black and sooty. Glass smoke stained? gauges look melted/fogged in cab. everything else is still in running order.

I work rescue here in Ct and new to cut out the battery with bolt cutters..after I got the hood open between bouts of combat with the fire. And YES she didnt blevie ..no trucks came to our driveway,only a nieghbor who stopped while driving past to ask if he could help. We stood there watching her smolder..and he asked me questions about her..make model vintage..I was calm and answered in kind.

she turned on her lights one last time,mid blaze..her horn honked repeatedly, she was like my own personal titanic..saying goodbye before she went to her silty wet coffin.

I never named her, but I guess men don't. She was my Rover and I love her still. As I coiled the garden hose, I knew, as sure as I was delivered
by her my last drive in her earlier in the week..I will bring her back.

I realize this is a strange and sad little post,but of all the ears in all of the world,I knew yours were the ones to mourn her with.

May all of you love your Landies for as long as time allows.

Happy New Year

Bren

Bren

Tim Smith
01-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I am sad because of this post.

Is that right?

artpeck
01-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear. The upside is you have an opportunity to bring her back to life.

rwollschlager
01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
i thought i had a bad day when my head gasket blew on the way to the trails this morning, you sir, had a really bad day. I'm sorry for your loss.

-Rob

Tim Smith
01-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Reach out to me if you want help. If not straight mechanical help then resurrection love from the gods sort of thing.

vandermeter
01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
It is strange to love a thing..but I guess without us there would be no "old rovers". It is sad that she wont putter up the hill to the house,like a sewing machine before the prom. But I guess I am blessed no one got hurt other than a few scratches and burns. Its a good story, nothing more.

Feel a little like someone in the family passed, and although the Fiance says "we are all crazy" to love these things, I'm really glad I could wax poetic on my Landies behalf. Not Boo-hoo, just saying adios.

and I look forward to rebuilding or rebuying.

vandermeter
01-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks man, that means alot.

vandermeter
01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Reach out to me if you want help. If not straight mechanical help then resurrection love from the gods sort of thing.
I have much to learn Jedi

kevin-ct
01-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the fire. :(

Tim Smith
01-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I have much to learn Jedi Much you have wrenched. Little have you learned.

If you want to fix it, then reach out.

kwd509
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I am saddened at your loss, a member of your family.
and like a member of our extended family. Yes, it is strange to love an object.... but what an object!

Tim Smith
01-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I am saddened at your loss, a member of your family.
and like a member of our extended family. Yes, it is strange to love an object.... but what an object!
Bring your self back to earth.

Plaw! This earth.

73series88
01-03-2011, 05:02 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Best thing you can do is get out there and start figuring out what you can reuse. Between all of us in this family there are enough skills and parts to bring your baby back to life. Start making a list.
Aaron

SalemRover
01-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Sorry for your loss, that must have really hurt to watch you SIII 88 go. Any chance you can post pictures of the aftermath. It doesnt happen often to a series so seeing the results might encourage people to get fire extinguishers in their rover. It might happen that someone has some parts lying around that they see in there....

Condolences,

Jason

Tim Smith
01-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Bring your self back to earth.

Plaw! This earth.Oh dear. I don't normally make it a policy to drink and post but it looks like last night was an exception. :o

Sorry for your loss.