PDA

View Full Version : Full of Enthusiasm

JDLalama
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Hello,

I am new to Series ownership after 25 years of being separated from them. I was 11 years old in 1985 when my father sold his 1974 Series III 88 SW in Limestone, ever since I hoped to have one of my own. I took the picture below the day it moved on.

As you can see in the picture he also had a Series I. He also had an IIA that he used for parts. See the “grill” on his Series III ? He also took the 16” wheels from the IIA and placed them. Now, my example of a 1974 isn’t as nice, but I have hopes of it to be some day.

My goal is to make a reliable everyday driver that is pleasing to my eyes. My Series is a shade of blue (evidence it was marine blue at some point in its life) basic model that is RHD.

I would like to remove the body from the frame and really check out the foundation of this Land Rover. I know it has been repaired in all the usual places and it looks like it was done by someone who knew something about what they were doing. At that time if the frame checks out I would like to use Por 15

Check out the bulkhead for necessary repairs

Should I convert to LHD? A question I ask myself.

Overdrive or 5 speed mated to original drive train?

New brakes, lines and consider the front disc brake conversion. Right now the master cylinder is a single circuit. It has 16” wheels already, but they are not original. They are a star pattern which resembles an American Racing Wheel. I really prefer the original style, Wolf/NATO looking wheels, but to save some money painting these limestone or black will do.

Parabolic leaf springs, poly bushing and shocks

The rear axle has the boxed gusset on the longer end. Is this from an earlier model?

Once the foundation is sorted out, I would like to paint the body Limestone or sandglow.

Removing the paint from the original galvanized pieces.

It would be nice to find an IIA grill or make one.

I may not do anything with the top because it isn’t what I want. The side windows are cut in resembling a storm window. I may put it back on as is, go soft with a tailgate or try to find a tropical or safari top.

An Exmoor Trim Series III Interior Restoration Kit Black Vinyl with seat belts.

Any input on my ideas will be greatly appreciated over this long process.

I will try to start a pictorial account somewhere on the net.

Oh, Happy New Year!

Nium
01-06-2011, 05:29 PM

No, my personal opinion is that if you want a LHD then buy a LHD. Of course it's up to you but it seems a waste of time when LHD vehicles are readily available.

and

Welcome aboard! Cheers!

JDLalama
01-07-2011, 04:31 AM
No, my personal opinion is that if you want a LHD then buy a LHD. Of course it's up to you but it seems a waste of time when LHD vehicles are readily available.

and

Welcome aboard! Cheers!
I more than likely will stay RHD and spend the time and money better spent on other things.

I will let everyone know when I get to that point.

Glad to be aboard!

LaneRover
01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
I agree with what someone said on another post, the 'learning' or 'comfortability' curve with using a RHD vehicle is rather quick.

You go from feeling like an monkey with motor skills issues to 'normal' within a day or two. Plus if you have a dog EVERYONE loves a car that looks like the god is in the driver's seat!

Brent

PS - You can always back through drive thru's - tollbooths are a little trickier.

artpeck
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Just to pile on. I lived in south Africa for awhile and the learning curve driving rhd is quick and it becomes second nature. Were the truck mine I would keep it that way. And if you see a good rhd truck out there let me know as I in the market to add one to the fleet

msggunny
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
RHD takes a bit to get used to but as long as your the kind of person who can learn and adapt its not a big deal.

I drove a LHD Disco in Uganda which was a RHD country for 2 years, no problems.

I drive my SIII here which is RHD for now. Only reason i am converting to LHD is because the galvi chassis i have for it is LHD, unless i can find a RHD P38 steering box to do a power steering conversion with.

The only issue you may have, and i am sure they have been addressed, are drive-throughs (just go inside) and passing (which you wont do much of with a stock series)

The other questions you ask are really a matter of your own personal requirements. The parabolics give a better ride, 5 speed will be better but more expensive in the long run to swap in the tranny than a used O/D.

Hope it helps.

Tim Smith
01-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Welcome! Here are my thoughts:

I would like to remove the body from the frame and really check out the foundation of this Land Rover. I know it has been repaired in all the usual places and it looks like it was done by someone who knew something about what they were doing. At that time if the frame checks out I would like to use Por 15

Go for it then. If you want to lift the body up from the frame then just get some 2x4's and make up a frame to lift up the body. They are simple as a tin of beans to lift up. If you want to pick up the body more than an inch or so, then you will need to remember about the electrics and hydraulics.

Check out the bulkhead for necessary repairs

This can be a little more than just kicking at the floor. Best judgement should be used but this is maybe a case of "If it's working, then don't fix it."

Doable but don't even think about this one until you are working on the frame over. RHD ain't that bad so long as you aren't commuting in it.

Overdrive or 5 speed mated to original drive train?

Overdrive if anything. 5 speed is a lot more work.

New brakes, lines and consider the front disc brake conversion. Right now the master cylinder is a single circuit. It has 16” wheels already, but they are not original. They are a star pattern which resembles an American Racing Wheel. I really prefer the original style, Wolf/NATO looking wheels, but to save some money painting these limestone or black will do.

Do brake work as needed and only cry once. Upgrade from the single circuit system if you can. Do the standard brakes up and then consider disk brakes.

Those wheels sound familiar. Try dismounting them, removing the paint and then using something like truck bed liner. Makes the wheels hide while keeping them tough and useful. They look good on my truck that way. :)

Parabolic leaf springs, poly bushing and shocks

Poly bush no. IMOP, you want as soft a bush as possible. Go ahead and get the rest of the suspension if you like. I think a good oiling will get you a good while with an old set of springs.

The rear axle has the boxed gusset on the longer end. Is this from an earlier model?

That is a gusset, generally added for strength. Standard for military trucks. At the age these trucks are at, the gusset is probably hiding more rust than we like to admit.

Once the foundation is sorted out, I would like to paint the body Limestone or sandglow.

OGM! Really?

Actually, it's all up to you my friend. Choose a colour and go for it.

Removing the paint from the original galvanized pieces.

Learn to chemical dip. It will not only take the paint off but the rust too. In the end, you may need to replace a few pieces of capping to keep it perfect. Otherwise, then you'll love the dip.

It would be nice to find an IIA grill or make one.

Ha! Impossible on all counts.

Otherwise, feel free to call me for a special one off.

I may not do anything with the top because it isn’t what I want. The side windows are cut in resembling a storm window. I may put it back on as is, go soft with a tailgate or try to find a tropical or safari top.

Take you time with this. A new soft top is easy to source. The right hard top isn't.

An Exmoor Trim Series III Interior Restoration Kit Black Vinyl with seat belts.

Probably a good thing on a great truck. Might be putting the horse before the carriage if you truck is as bad as it sounds.

I hope you are having a great time with your truck! Enjoy it and don't let anyone else tell you what to do with it. It's yours, enjoy it my friend! :thumb-up:

JDLalama
12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I picked up a Series IIA, 88 for parts on Tuesday. It's got all the pieces I need for my "Land Rover vision". It's a basket case (half the glass is broken, the engine is in pieces inside the rear tub and of course the frame is rotted), but I bought it for certain parts to be used on my Series III. It has the tropical roof with alpine windows, the four jump seats (I may just swap out the whole rear tub seats and all, because it looks like it is in better shape and straighter than mine) radiator support with headlights with grill and original wheels! I plan on keeping the transfer case, transmission, axles and other undecided parts as I strip it down. I'm very excited. Being I don't have a garage and the weather is working against me, I realistically won't start until spring.

I will try to keep this thread updated. Thanks in advance for all the questions I will be asking.

keithg
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
JD- I'm in Butler and just bought a '73 SIII. If you need help, let me know and maybe we can help each other out.

JDLalama
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm still out here, but I haven't really done anything but start stripping my parts rover.

JDLalama
06-18-2013, 02:46 PM
JD- I'm in Butler and just bought a '73 SIII. If you need help, let me know and maybe we can help each other out.
I'm still gathering more parts. As a lot of you probably know we can't devote all of our time towards our Land Rovers.
How is your '73?

JDLalama
10-09-2013, 05:51 PM
88008801I replaced my distributor with a pointless Petronix today. I didn't need to replace my distributor, but I thought it would be an improvement. By the seat of my pants I believe it is an improvement. I pulled a hill in fourth gear that normally would have taken a downshift to third. I hope it proves to be reliable.

JDLalama
10-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Pictures from last year...

Revtor
10-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Need some front frame horns!!!

looks good. . . whats your plan moving forward?
~steve

JDLalama
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Need some front frame horns!!!

looks good. . . whats your plan moving forward?
~steve

I picked up the parts rover for the roof, the jump seats and the breakfast with the headlights and metal grill. I want to put these parts on my '74. Parts I mentioned earlier at the beginning of this thread. I know they look rough and they need some work, but that is what I want to do. I don't want a restored vehicle, but I am after a certain look with a sound mechanical structure. I think there are a lot of good parts on that IIA (Beauty is in the I of the beholder). I will keep what I want and get rid of the rest. So, to finally answer your question my plan right now is to finish tearing down the parts rover in hopes that I can use them on my '74. The tear down has to happen first so I can get it out of my way and have them ready to intall. It has been there way longer than the original plan, lol.
Hey, if it takes me my lifetime to finish I was blessed to have the opportunity. If I croak and the parts rover is still sitting in the yard then my poor wife will be stuck getting rid of all my junk. Sorry Honey. You knew what you were getting into :cool: