PDA

View Full Version : Skewed Steering Assembly

JackIIA
01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Well....

I went to refit my rebuilt steering column/box to my rover and it is 'skewed' where it comes through the bulkhead and into the compartment. From the perspective of the driver, the column lists to the right enough that you would easily notice it were I to ignore it and just 'button things up'. :(

FRAME: I did a quick and dirty measurement of the frame. This is a new galvanized Marsland chassis. The distance from outside rail to outside rail varies by 1/4" from the horn to the rear bumper. That is, the rails are slightly further apart at the extreme front of the frame than at the extreme rear. The front 'box' (basically the engine compartment portion of the frame) created by using a plumb bob to measure diagonally between points noted in the green bible is off by 1/8". I'm assuming that given the potential for measurement error, these numbers are within spec and mean the problem is NOT with the frame.

BULKHEAD: The bulkhead was refab'd by me. Basically the bottom half of the bulkhead was replaced using tox boxes from RN and welded in. I did use a jig for this. I know it isn't perfect, but using straight edges and squares, I don't see problems *relative* to contact points with the stiffner.

STEERING COLUMN: The steering column assembly appears straight and the rebuild was problem free.

STIFFNER: It doesn't have any obvious warpage which would force the steering to it's skewed angle.

I could try some mods (drilling new/larger holes, using washers to change angles, etc.) to make things line up but my gut is that's not a good approach and I would like to know exactly what the problem is.

But obviously despite my assurances to the contrary, something is off with the four variables: frame, bulkhead, steering assembly, or stiffner.

** Any thoughts on getting a better read on the problem source? **

Thanks as always.

jac04
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I assume the stiffener is what you are calling the mounting bracket that attaches to the chassis with 3 bolts and to the bulkhead as well. If so, does the bracket sit flush against the chassis? If it does, the steering column should be pointing straight back with no skew. I'm thinking that the holes in the bulkhead may be slightly off, causing the skew. Try only installing the bolts at the chassis and see how it fits.
Also, is the steering column located in the middle of the hole in the bulkhead? This can give you an idea of what is off.
I remember having to slightly elongate the bulkhead holes all 3 times I have installed a new galv chassis.

Terrys
01-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around the problem, as I think you're describing it. If you were looking down on the truck, are you saying the steering column is Not parallel to the centerline?

JackIIA
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Hey Terry and Jeff,

I assume the stiffener is what you are calling the mounting bracket that attaches to the chassis with 3 bolts and to the bulkhead as well. If so, does the bracket sit flush against the chassis?

Yes (sorry) and yes. The chassis rail has a very small amount of welding bead at the top, but I can't imagine that is causing any problems. A straight edge against the chassis rail looks good. And when I fit the mounting bracket (without steering assembly) it *appears* to fit well relative to the bulkhead too. I probably moved it about 1/8" to get it to line up with the bulkhead attachment points (two holes).

I'm thinking that the holes in the bulkhead may be slightly off, causing the skew. Try only installing the bolts at the chassis and see how it fits.

I did without improvement. I still have my old chassis - because I'm paranoid about problems such as these. I did a rudimentary measurement and the holes are 'pretty much' the same. (The holes angle down slightly on the new frame from front to back, on the original rover they're 'straight' across). One of the 'modifications' I was thinking about was changing the circular holes in the chassis to 'slots' so I could move the mounting bracket back a bit.

Also, is the steering column located in the middle of the hole in the bulkhead? This can give you an idea of what is off.

Nope. And it's off enough that when the clamp is fitted in the dash, it is literally scraping the side of the column, as you feed it through.

I remember having to slightly elongate the bulkhead holes all 3 times I have installed a new galv chassis.

I find that a bit encouraging!!! Though I will say that I'd be doing more cutting that is probably 'normal'.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the problem, as I think you're describing it. If you were looking down on the truck, are you saying the steering column is Not parallel to the centerline?

Yes, exactly. Looking from the front of the truck, it looks fine. When viewing from the driver's perspective, that is when it looks messed.

I've pulled it at the moment. Depending on my level of commitment, I may refit and take some pics to post. It might make diagnosing easier. Thanks guys.

mongoswede
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't know if this has any relevance but.... on 3 of the trucks I have pulled apart the bracket that the steering box bolts to (the bracket that bolts to the frame with 3 long bolts and bolts to the footwell of the bulkhead) was twisted. The twist seemed to work with the steering box somehow. I am not sure if this twist was a result of years of steering or if it was stock that way.

siii8873
01-07-2011, 06:46 AM
is the bulkhead perpendicular to the frame rails?
if the column is parallel to the frame rails it makes me think the bulkhead is askew.

jac04
01-07-2011, 07:08 AM
I am not sure if this twist was a result of years of steering or if it was stock that way.
I notied the same thing; The bracket is supposed to have a slight twist to it.

Jack - The holes in the bracket should be slotted to begin with to allow adjustment. You shouldn't have top slot the chassis holes. Does your bracket have a slight twist to it? Maybe it was straightened by mistake. Maybe you can put a little more twist in it to get things to align.

JackIIA
01-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I think it's time for more measurements.

The bracket does have a very slight twist to it. I hadn't notice til Mongo pointed that out. Adding more of a twist is a possibility.

As for the slots - that's right, I had forgotten. Though it almost seems like the bracket needs to be further back than the chassis holes will allow.

I need to think more about this though, before I do something stupid (a distinct possibility).

JackIIA
02-12-2011, 03:48 PM
OK, so I finally thought to put my rebuilt steering onto the old frame to see how it would look. And specifically, would it put the assembly at some loopy angle (if no, then it's the new frame or bulkhead, if yes, then it's either the bulkhead or the stiffener, I'd think).

I'm attaching pics for thoughts from folks. Also, for kicks, I made a stiffener out of wood and with a pole for the steering column. My thought was to see what would happen without any twist in the stiffener. I still see some skew to the left (looking from the engine bay, aft).

Is the twist in the stiffener supposed to pull the assembly to the left (looking back) or to the right? Should have thought to ask that before!

Danke for your thoughts.

JackIIA
02-12-2011, 03:50 PM
And the last three....

amcordo
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Mine does the exact same thing - the steering column is at exactly the same slight angle to the passenger side.

Also, I remember watching those old Riverport Rover videos on youtube and he claimed that the steering column is supposed to be like that. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but at least you're not alone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7kIG7FfxU#t=3m30s

Edit: I should mention that I thought maybe it was supposed to be like that so I never tried to correct the angle. Doesn't bother me, in fact I never really notice or think about it in case you're contemplating just going with it.

JackIIA
02-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks for that info Tony. I was hopeful that it wasn't suppose to have that much of a twist. Watched the video and his comments made sense, so I tend to think you're right.

albersj51
02-13-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm in the same boat. I noticed it when I pulled the bulkhead and thought something was off, but maybe not. Keep us posted!!

albersj51
02-13-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm in the same boat. I noticed it when I pulled the bulkhead and thought something was off, but maybe not. Keep us posted; if you come across a solution I'd like to hear it

JackIIA
02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm in the same boat. I noticed it when I pulled the bulkhead and thought something was off, but maybe not. Keep us posted; if you come across a solution I'd like to hear it

n.p. will do.