PDA

View Full Version : Rear bench seat - S3 - installation?

knac1234
01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Hello all,

Another project beyond the yellow knob issue!

The only thing missing (I think) from my S3 when I bought it was the driver's side rear bench seat.

I found another used one in nice shape and want to fit it. How does it attach? I looked at the right side seat bench. The cushion flips up, but I can't tell how it holds to the tub.

It looks like it might attach to the galvanized rail behind it (below the sliding hardtop glass) via the back of the seat frame, not the bottom of the seat frame as I had originally suspected.

Any ideas on how it locks in place?

Thanks,
Julian

TedW
01-07-2011, 01:56 PM
There is a tab on each side of the back of the seat frame, about 1/5 of the way down; those tabs insert into slots on the galvanized rail you mentioned (the one below the hard top sides).

The bottom of the seat frame screws into holes in the floor of the tub.

Insert the frame tabs first (this can be a pita), then bolt the frame to the bottom of the tub. You may need to do this a few times, as you will want the frame to fit tight against the tub side to keep from rattling / vibrating. You can gently bend the tabs to get a tight fit.

If someone knows a better way to do this, please share!

RoverForm
01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
that's exactly what i did, even down to the tab bending.

knac1234
01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the tab tips!

Seat went in no problem. No holes though on either side (existing or new seat side) for securing the bottoms to the tub. Perhaps seats were an option?

Regards,
Julian