PDA

View Full Version : Wiper washer motor Series 3

knac1234
01-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Hello all,

Took a quick trip into town, and it was just starting to snow. Thought I'd try the washer fluid (first time).

Motor goes, but no fluid. I took it out and put it on my bench. The motor spins fine. Removed the 4 screw plate that goes on the bottom of the motor assembly, and observed the "impellor" spinning. The tubes are new, so not blocked.

Anyone else figured out why it won't spray fluid, when everything seems fine?

I really want to keep it original, but if necessary, has anyone a recommendation for another motor (?) that can pull the fluid from the reservoir?

Regards,
Julian

LaneRover
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
What is this new fangled witchery that you speak of!?!?

Actually I do wish I could be of more help but alas I won't be.

siii8873
01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
try the pump without the hoses connected to be sure the pump is pumping. If so it could be that the jets are plugged.

TedW
01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
try the pump without the hoses connected to be sure the pump is pumping. If so it could be that the jets are plugged.

What he said. Disconnect the output hose from the pump and confirm that the pump is, you know, pumping. If so then you have a plug somewhere - the jets are easily plugged, but the hoses can kink easily, too. Also checki the draw tube in the bottle - it can clog as well.

Do you have the bottle with the pump built into the cap? I'm pretty sure that our hosts don't carry them, but RDS does: mucho dinero, btw.

I respect your desire to keep things original: I do the same with my truck. IIRC the Defender uses a Trico pump, so you can always get one of those and stay kinda sorta original. Or you can spring for $150 for a NOS cap/pump.

knac1234
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I took the cap off and put it on my bench (with the motor in the top of the cap). I tried using a new piece of tubing in case the old was blocked, but, although the motor works fine, it does not pump fluid (clear tubing....not a drop of fluid is being sucked out of the reservoir into the tube!). Lastly, I tried the tubing on both sides of the motor, and even tried reversing the polarity on the terminals/battery in both configurations.

Finally, I removed the circular plate on the bottom of the motor, and checked the round impellor thing that should draw fluid in one side and push it out the other. It spins, but still does not pump fluid.

Unless anyone has another idea, it looks like I will have to get another pump/motor. I can't see anything that is not working or that could be rebuilt! Although I like original equipment, I don't like $150! Actually, I checked the RDS site....it's now $215 :eek:

I think I might be able to get a standalone motor/pump (the stock one on my MGB would probably be perfect), and run the tubing through the original setup to the new pump that I can put in an inconspicuous place....that way it looks like the original setup, but the fluid is just running through it pulled by a new aftermarket motor!

Julian

Burlsube
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I'd try our friends on the left coast. They have the bottle and pump for about 90.

TedW
01-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Unless anyone has another idea, it looks like I will have to get another pump/motor. I can't see anything that is not working or that could be rebuilt! Although I like original equipment, I don't like $150! Actually, I checked the RDS site....it's now $215 :eek:

They have just the cap - for "only" $165.00!!!

xsbowes
01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Wise owl:

PRC3369 MOTOR, WASHER PUMP SIII $14.75

http://www.wiseowlparts.com/pricing.html

If this is the right part number.

Or STC575 at RovahFarm.com for $10.95

Both are aftermarket replacements for the original.

knac1234
01-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Stacy,

I am sure that is aftermarket, as the original is fastened to the cap (permanently?).

BP does one for $10, so will go with that if necessary, but will wait to see if there are any other posts today before ordering!

Cheers,
Julian