X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pgeorgeson
    Low Range
    • Dec 2010

Another tire size question (sorry)

I am restoring my 1966 Series IIa 109 and need new tires. I want the tires sized to look stock (not wide modern 4x4 tires). I have 16" rims. I understand the original stock tire was a 750x16. I also understand that width equates to approx. 190mm. With the 750x16, there is no aspect ratio.

What size modern tire (that is reasonably available) best approximates the original stock tires?

(I tried searching, but couldn't find the exact answer I need).
  • siii8873
    Overdrive
    • Jul 2007

235-85-16
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• pgeorgeson
      Low Range
      • Dec 2010

Thanks, but aren't the 235's substantially wider than the original 750s?

Comment

• siii8873
        Overdrive
        • Jul 2007

I'll check the difference. I have a spare 235-85-16 and 7.5x16's on the trucks. There is a guy selling some bridgestone 7.5x16 on the land rover exchange. They are an OK tire for everyday use, not a real aggressive tire for off road. Picture of them attached on a truck 7.5x16's that is.
        Last edited by siii8873; 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM.
        THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
        THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• siii8873
          Overdrive
          • Jul 2007

picture of 235-85-16's on a truck
          Last edited by siii8873; 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM.
          THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
          THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• jac04
            Overdrive
            • Feb 2007

You can't beat the 7.50 x 16 for that authentic look.
            There is a guy on d-90.com selling a set of 5 Michelin XZLs if you are interested.

Comment

• Linus Tremaine
              1st Gear
              • Jan 2007

yes

235s are wider but they are the closest modern tire that you can find that will go on your truck. If you want narrow you will have to find 7.50 x 16. Most of what you will find are bias ply. Try safari rover he had some XZLs a while back. OF course, the problem with that type of tire is what happens when you cut a side wall or have a blow out. They are not something you can just replace when you are on the road somewhere.

I thought hard about it because I had 7.50x16 dunlop radial rovers which I really liked, but the peace of mind of having a modern readily available tire made the cut over factory dimensions.
              1968 Land Rover "Park Ranger" camper **SOLD**
              1967 109 **SOLD**
              NADA Dormobile #601 **SOLD**
              1965 IIA 88 2.5NA Diesel
              1963 Mercedes 300se
              1975 Volvo C303
              KJ6AQK

Comment

• Eric W S
                5th Gear
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by pgeorgeson
                Thanks, but aren't the 235's substantially wider than the original 750s?
                Depends on the tire. Swamper has a radial that is a very narrow 235.

Check tire rack or like site. They list the width. Find one you like.

EwS

Comment

• stomper
                  5th Gear
                  • Apr 2007

If they look too wide, why not go with a 215/85/16. There is a link to another thread you may find worth a read.
                  Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• RoverForm
                      3rd Gear
                      • Jul 2010

i feel like the bf goodrich mud t/a is probably the most accessable, original looking tire with the best all around quality, IF, you can find them close to the 7.50x16 size range.

i don't like the look of super swamper wide tires on anything, especially a rover.

plus the tread pattern on these reminds me of the michelin XZL

Comment

• pgeorgeson
                        Low Range
                        • Dec 2010

Thanks everyone. Great info. I was assuming the "750" in the 750x16 was designating that the tire was 7.5 inches wide. Now I realize that the 750 means it is 7.5 inches tall. Based on that, I now realize why the 235s are basically at least the same height. However, i like the look of the narrower tires, so I might still try some 215/85/16s. I note that Cooper apparently makes the "Discoverer S/T" in that size. I am going to try to find one of those in that size to look at.

Comment

• roverjohn
                          Low Range
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by siii8873
                          I'll check the difference. I have a spare 235-85-16 and 7.5x16's on the trucks. There is a guy selling some bridgestone 7.5x16 on the land rover exchange. They are an OK tire for everyday use, not a real aggressive tire for off road. Picture of them attached on a truck 7.5x16's that is.

I am selling the Bridgestone tires on here as well. Here is the link:

You are correct; they are not the most aggressive tire out there, but they are more aggressive than you might think. The outer tread will bite for off road use but the centers are more of a highway tread. They run fairly quiet down the highway and they should last a fairly long time.

I have sold quite a few of these tires for Series Rovers and everyone that I have sold to, really seem to like them. In fact, I am sending a set of 5 to New York tomorrow.

I still have a few sets left, so let me know if you are interested.

Comment

• cousindave
                            1st Gear
                            • Jan 2007

I have the mud terrains in 33x9.50x15 and I love them. They are not the greatest in the snow though. Another great tire is the radial rover r/t. Ihad them on my discovery and nothing could beat those. Also they are ten or twelve ply which I loved. Since a heavy ply tire is so stiff it cuts down on a lot of wander associated with taller tires and also less prone.to flats.

Comment

• Eric W S
                              5th Gear
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by RoverForm
                              i feel like the bf goodrich mud t/a is probably the most accessable, original looking tire with the best all around quality, IF, you can find them close to the 7.50x16 size range.

i don't like the look of super swamper wide tires on anything, especially a rover.

plus the tread pattern on these reminds me of the michelin XZL

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:1&um=1&itbs=1
                              The BF Goods Muds look nothing like the original avon traction mileage tires or the XZL's. The BF ones the guy from colorado is selling are the closest to an origianl look.

All Swampers aren't wide. Do your research. Ike has a set on a truck he restored and they look better than any BF tires I have seen as they are much narrower. Check his site. It's the red rover that now lives in Indy.

Comment

Working...