PDA

View Full Version : Door seals

stonefox
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Its time for some door seals. Looks like RN offers the new style.Are the old ones available ? I know a few of you have voiced a preference for the defender style. How different are they?

crankin
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Pretty different. You have to grind off the lip....but they work great.

Read this thread: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7233&highlight=door+seals

TedW
01-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Far superior, IMO.

I suggest that first you try to fit them before grinding any metal. You may discover that you don't need to. I didn't (1970 IIA soft top).

SalemRover
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I have defender seals on my middle row doors on the 109. They seal great, but.... If your doors do not rest squarely on the seal it will chew through the defender seal in short order. That being said its still better than the series stuff, just do some door alignment to minimize damage to the seals.

-J

Jim-ME
01-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Could someone snap a picture of a Defender door seal. I'd like to see the difference.
Jim

SalemRover
01-12-2011, 06:22 AM
The rover is buried in snow at the moment. They are very similar to edge bulb seals from Mcmaster Carr. It is the same construction but Mcmaster seals have an aluminum core on seal instead of steel. I will get some pics up later of the installed seals. To get an idea of the construction check this link, page 3438 Edge-Grip rubber seals Item 2. Cant directly link to the exact page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#door-weatherstripping/=ak229w

stonefox
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
The rover is buried in snow at the moment. They are very similar to edge bulb seals from Mcmaster Carr. It is the same construction but Mcmaster seals have an aluminum core on seal instead of steel. I will get some pics up later of the installed seals. To get an idea of the construction check this link, page 3438 Edge-Grip rubber seals Item 2. Cant directly link to the exact page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#door-weatherstripping/=ak229w
So Jason did you go with these from Mcmaster ? If so what size, or can any one tell me the sizes of the Defender ones as they relate to the specs on the above link.

Jim-ME
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I believe that Jim Young used McMaster seals on his 109 now that I think about it. I'm not convinced that is is absolutely necessary to grind the lip off. I'd bet on a warm day with silicone as a lube you could get them on.
Jim

junkyddog11
01-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Warm day, lube, gettin' it on..............sealing the deal in Brewer Maine.

going to be a long winter eh Jim?

stonefox
01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Warm day, lube, gettin' it on..............sealing the deal in Brewer Maine.

going to be a long winter eh Jim?
Did I just hear a banjo in the background.:eek:

PeterK
01-12-2011, 07:09 PM
I use the McMaster Carr seals with great sucess, but I use seal # 8 on page 3439

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/116/gfx/large/12335a45c1l.gif

More grip fingers and they're rubber.

I worried about steel core rusting but it doesn't seem to.

The only problem is gluing the miters at the corners really neatly.

I grind about half the lip off, so there's still a bit of an edge for the fingers to catch.

I've always wanted to try defender seals, and now that I see them reasonably priced at Rovahfarm I'll pick some up at the Romp.

Cheers
Peter

SalemRover
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I used the d90 aftermarket seals when I did the 5 door. Back when my rover was a pickup I did use some of the mcmaster carr stuff. It is more expensive going that route. Having done both it is cheaper and faster with the d90 seals. I picked them up from rovahfarm last year. If you insist on doing the mcmaster carr route Ill go take some measurements for you.

-J

stonefox
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I used the d90 aftermarket seals when I did the 5 door. Back when my rover was a pickup I did use some of the mcmaster carr stuff. It is more expensive going that route. Having done both it is cheaper and faster with the d90 seals. I picked them up from rovahfarm last year. If you insist on doing the mcmaster carr route Ill go take some measurements for you.

-J
I don't insist on anything! Don't worry about the measurements.

73series88
01-14-2011, 05:15 AM
im gonna try and get the d90 seals on this weekend
do i need to run silicon on the inside of the seals before pushing them on?
i dont want them to trap water and rust the edges.
im gonna take pictures of the event so people can use it as reference.
does anyone need measurements of the seals before i put them in?
aaron

Jim-ME
01-14-2011, 07:32 AM
I don't think you need to use silicone. I only asked about using silicone spray as a lubricant to help the seals slide on.
Jim

73series88
01-14-2011, 07:40 AM
oh ok
sorry
early morning
thanks
aaron

TedW
01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
im gonna try and get the d90 seals on this weekend
do i need to run silicon on the inside of the seals before pushing them on?

Mine stay on fine with no glue whatsoever. Try that first.