PDA

View Full Version : Tail gate bottom seal

TeriAnn
01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Back in March '78 when I bought my 109 it was missing some of its seals and the rest were in pretty bad shape. One of the missing seals was the bottom tail gate seal.

Back in '96 I purchased a complete set of new genuine Rover seals for both the doors and the tail/lift gates and installed them. Since then I've had multiple people tell me I installed the tailgate bottom seal wrong. It came off 4 or 5 years back and I haven't worried about its absence until I moved from Monterey bay to Flagstaff and started experiencing the Flagstaff winter. On a recent trip to Texas & back, during the AM I could not feel the output of my Kodiak on full. So I'm busy sealing things.

I have a new tailgate bottom seal and no idea of how to properly mount it. Can anyone please clue me in on exactly where it goes and in what orientation it should be mounted?

Its just one of those things I'd never paid attention to because it was not all that cold and water drained faster after a crossing when the doors don't have bottom seals.

I installed D110 door seals to my front doors year before last. I just picked up a new pair of Defender door bottom seals for my side doors too.

I can see sky along the top of my poorly fitting aftermarket door tops that I bought in '96 that are rusting through. I have a new pair of genuine LR D90 door tops in transit in the hopes of getting a proper tight fit.

Since my seats (reupholstered in '97) have split, I'm getting ready to order a foam & upholstery kit with heated seat backs & bottoms. And new door panels so I can insulate between the panels & doors.

I'm getting serious about trying to stay warm.

So where do I put the tail gate bottom seal??????

jac04
01-12-2011, 07:13 AM
TeriAnn- Do you have a picture of the seal you are using? I'm wondering if it is similar to the one on my SIII lightweight, which mounts to the bottom of the tailgate itself (with the lip at the bottom & facing forward).

Terrys
01-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Same on a series. The seal for a tailboard (303975) attaches to the lower inside vertical edge of the tailboard. It isn't the same seal as used with a rear door, which mounts below the lower of the two galvy strips. The tailboard seal has an edge which flares. The edge contacts the tub, and is on teh low side.

I Leak Oil
01-12-2011, 08:52 AM
TeriAnn,
Have you noticed the spelling of your location????

TeriAnn
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
TeriAnn,
Have you noticed the spelling of your location????

No. Thanks for letting me know that I missed a letter typing it in. Amazing what a difference in meaning one letter missing or wrong can make.

OK so the seal goes on the bottom of the tailgate and not the bottom of the door opening.

Is that the same case with the with the bottom seals on the side doors?

Thanks,

jac04
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
The bottom seal for the side doors should attach to the galvanized sill piece, not the bottom of the door. There are holes in it for riveting the seal in place