PDA

View Full Version : tappet question

cousindave
01-12-2011, 11:39 AM
What are some of the symptoms associated with unadjusted tappets? Thanks

109 Pretender
01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Generally, loose valve adjustment will make a lot of loud "tapping noises" in the top of the engine. If it's really bad the engine might be running somewhat rough.

Adjust to factory specs to prevent undue valve/valve seat wear and tappet wear. If it's like most old Rovers - the aforementioned items may already be worn - especially if you don't know for how long this has been going on.

Good Luck!

I Leak Oil
01-12-2011, 12:10 PM
As noted, slightly loose valves won't cause much more than a little added tick to the motor. Too loose and you'll notice a loss in power. Tight valves are very bad. Usually leads to you with tears in your eyes and burnt valves. Any old timer I've ever talked to recommends leaving them just very slightly loose, if not spot on.

gudjeon
01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I know the plate on the valve cover says .010" hot or cold. I have found the adjustment quieter done under cool engine conditions and tappety noise can be heard if adjusted hot, but not majorly. If the engine is ever taken apart, then check the underside of the rocker shaft. This usually is the place that wears as it is an oil pressure "weak area" of this engine design.:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
"Hot or Cold" I think is on of those British engineering adecisive instructions. If you do it hot, the metal parts shrink when they cool giving you more gap until they reach temp again (noisier). If you do it cold, the metal parts grow when they reach temp., tightening up the clearance (quieter). The down side to doing it cold is you run the risk of having too tight a valve clearance and burning them when they get warm. I think that's a risk only if they're too tight to begin with on a Rover though. I've done it both ways and haven't really noticed a difference. I now do it cold and use a snug fit with an .011" feeler blade.

73series88
01-17-2011, 03:46 AM
yeh ive never really noticed a difference on brit cars.
now my 68 porsche was very touchy.
that one had to be dead on.
aaron

jimrr
01-18-2011, 10:05 PM
I do it hot with engine running slow idle and quality guages, always runs well, ........ 300K miles and just broke in!