PDA

View Full Version : Restoring my 109

pgeorgeson
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Since I have been posting (mostly dumb) questions here about putting things back together, I thought I should show the process a little. I picked up a 1966 Series IIa 109 5-door just under a year ago. The prior owner rebuilt the engine and transmission and it was running great. The Chassis is in good shape, but the entire interior needs to be re-done and it needed paint.

Here are some pictures of it when I bought it:

pgeorgeson
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I then started taking it apart for painting. Here is the beginning of that process:

pgeorgeson
01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I then got her further stripped down and painted her with the help of a buddy who knows what he is doing. I decided to go with Pastel Green on the body with Limestone on the top and wheels. Here are some pictures of the body after paint. I will continue to update as I progress.

This is my first LR and I have really no idea what I am doing. However, I have lots of resources and will rely heavily on you guy's expertise.

Les Parker
01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Looking good.
Great colour choice.
Keep the progress report coming !

Skookumchuck
01-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Looking good. When you are done come paint mine lol.

Momo
01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Awesome! Nice straight looking body and I don't see any rust in the usual trouble spots on the bulkhead.

Kudos for removing the galvanized trim to paint it. Most people don't bother. Are you taking the sunsheet off to paint the roof? I'm going to have to do that on a project soon and I'm not looking forward to it. Not hard just a pain.

pgeorgeson
01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Awesome! Nice straight looking body and I don't see any rust in the usual trouble spots on the bulkhead.

Kudos for removing the galvanized trim to paint it. Most people don't bother. Are you taking the sunsheet off to paint the roof? I'm going to have to do that on a project soon and I'm not looking forward to it. Not hard just a pain.

No serious rust that I could find. I understand that the truck spent a good portion of its life in New Mexico before heading to Nevada.

I did not remove the sunsheet, but I did remove all the bolts/spacers running down both sides and then that let us get into those spaces to spray some paint in there. The top is painted and I will take and post pics this weekend.

lrdukdog
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice, keep up the momentum. That's a nice lookng engine and carb.
Jim Wolf

73series88
01-14-2011, 04:58 AM
man
that thing looks great
aaron

smukai
01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Gorgeous truck.

pgeorgeson
01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Brought her home after painting and put the galvanized pieces back on then the back corners:

pgeorgeson
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Then got the roof and wheels painted (now you can see why I started the thread about what tires to get):

pgeorgeson
01-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Then, after help from you all about which hinges go where, I put the doors back on (as well as the rear lights and some more trim), so here she is as of today:

Skookumchuck
01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
You are doing a great job, a very sweet looking landy:thumb-up:

masonater
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
That is a sharp looking rover!

Momo
01-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Looking good! You are definitely in the fun stage. If it matters to you, there are a few things that might be changed in the interests of originality- the roof's rain gutter as well as the windshield frame should be galvanized finish rather than painted, and the roof itself would have been body color with only the sunsheet painted Limestone (just as the truck was before- ie Poppy Red roof/Limestone sunsheet)...did the paint shop overlook this stuff? It's happened to me before.

I only mention it because appears you are trying to stay faithful to the original look and you're not too far along to change it without much work.

Is that a 356B I spy next to the Land Rover? Looks very nice.

rejeep
01-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Question for you....
The trim...
So the door trim easy squeeze...
And in all fairness I haven't examined mine very closely, but how do you remove the rear trim (horizontal and vertical pieces)
I am looking to paint my rover this spring and your job has inspired me to do a little bit 're thorough job..

I agree with momo about the paint scheme, but I happen to like the painted windshield and full limestone top.. I think that is where I am going as well..

73series88
01-18-2011, 06:31 AM
its making me want to take mine apart and rebuild it.
hmm
someday
aaron

Dav1550
01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Question for you....
The trim...
And in all fairness I haven't examined mine very closely, but how do you remove the rear trim (horizontal and vertical pieces)..

They are removed by drilling out the rivets (3/16)…By 74 the trim bits were held on by blind rivets so it’s a relatively easy task to remount the galvanized trim with a hand riveter.

Dave
SIII 109 stationwagon

rejeep
01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
They are removed by drilling out the rivets (3/16)…By 74 the trim bits were held on by blind rivets so it’s a relatively easy task to remount the galvanized trim with a hand riveter.

Dave
SIII 109 stationwagon

so the rear wagon portion and rear trim is all riveted?
I was worried that the horizontal piece was sandwiched between the body and side window..

pgeorgeson
01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Looking good! You are definitely in the fun stage. If it matters to you, there are a few things that might be changed in the interests of originality- the roof's rain gutter as well as the windshield frame should be galvanized finish rather than painted, and the roof itself would have been body color with only the sunsheet painted Limestone (just as the truck was before- ie Poppy Red roof/Limestone sunsheet)...did the paint shop overlook this stuff? It's happened to me before.

I only mention it because appears you are trying to stay faithful to the original look and you're not too far along to change it without much work.

Is that a 356B I spy next to the Land Rover? Looks very nice.

Thanks. My paint shop is me and my buddy and I realize that it is not entirely factory correct. I am going for a mostly original look but have to admit that I am not going to be a purist about it. There are a few things that may not be purely correct based on some practicalities of doing the build myself. Also, it is going to be a truck for real use in the hills and I will probably keep it forever so I am not worried about what potential buyers might think.

Yes, that is my wife's 1964 356 C in the background.

pgeorgeson
01-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Question for you....
The trim...
And in all fairness I haven't examined mine very closely, but how do you remove the rear trim (horizontal and vertical pieces)
I am looking to paint my rover this spring and your job has inspired me to do a little bit 're thorough job..

I agree with momo about the paint scheme, but I happen to like the painted windshield and full limestone top.. I think that is where I am going as well..

You have to remove the rear corner pieces (the pieces with the windows that sit on top of the body and below the top) to get that trim off. They are riveted on, but they also cap off the body pieces, so the only way to get them off is to take off those upper corners.

I was going to just paint around the galvanized, but I am really glad I took the extra step and removed the trim for painting.

Terrys
01-18-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure I would characterize the roof paint job as 'incorrect'. I have had a bone stock S3 109 (marine blue) station wagon with a limestone roof, My son has one now, which came from Kenya, and I know of another S2A 109 close by with a limestone roof, limestone sunsheet, and pastel green body.

Momo
01-19-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure I would characterize the roof paint job as 'incorrect'. I have had a bone stock S3 109 (marine blue) station wagon with a limestone roof, My son has one now, which came from Kenya, and I know of another S2A 109 close by with a limestone roof, limestone sunsheet, and pastel green body.

Well, I never said it was incorrect. I was talking about the originality of the North American trucks. The paint scheme depends on the market.

-All North American 109 station wagons from 1958-1967 had tropical tops with Limestone sun sheets and body color roofs. And the OP's truck originally had this scheme as you can see.

-'67 was the last year for the 109 wagon in NA.

-Then, after the 1968 model year, coinciding with the migration of the headlights to the wings, the roofs and tropical tops were monochromatic in either white or Limestone. Wheels to match.

For example, a friend's 1970 Series IIA 109 station wagon is Marine Blue with white wheels, trop top and roof. It's a home market model.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this resto progresses. Beautiful so far.

pgeorgeson
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Picked up the tires Saturday. They look great. It is very exciting to see it coming back together. I wish I could spend more time on it, but there are too many other projects with deadlines. However, I will keep plugging away at it.

rejeep
02-15-2011, 06:36 AM
I know it’s not original.. and I might be in the minority.. but I like the windshield frame painted the body color along with the pie plate on the deluxe bonnet..
Looks cleaner..

pgeorgeson
02-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks. I basically just re-did what was there before I painted it. Prior owner had painted the windshield white (I think it actually might have come off another truck) and the whole hood (bonnet) was painted red.

Skookumchuck
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
SHe is looking great i can't wait to repaint my stage 1

cousindave
02-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Looks awesome!! What tiresdid you go with?

lrdukdog
02-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I think one can get just too wrapped up in making it look like it did when it left the plant. When I did mine (first time). I just painted it the color the girls wanted ( Rusto International Blue) and the trim was Rusto again but rattle can blue tinted Al. It all has lasted just fine.
So, just do (your truck) however you want and enjoy it, if you want it concurs well make it just that and get really pissed off when it gets dinged, scratched or scrubbed up off roading.
Jim Wolf

pgeorgeson
02-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Looks awesome!! What tiresdid you go with?

They are Coopers, but I don't know the exact model off the top of my head. I went with the 235/85/16s.

GPx
03-13-2011, 06:48 PM
The restoration looks great.
Regarding the tires, did you use tubes?

pgeorgeson
03-19-2011, 04:50 PM
New tires are tubeless.