PDA

View Full Version : 6 cyl wheel cylinders

chrismccarthy
01-16-2011, 10:11 AM
so, i purchased all new (4) front brake wheel cylinders, but they come with single threaded studs to mount them..? how do you use studs without bolts? doesn't seem correct, afterall the wheel cylinders attach in two opposing places. the attaching bolts are hardened steel, luckily i'm missing only one of those. but even so, how the heck are you suppose to drive the stud in all the way? i know i can marry two bolts and drive the stud in, but that will leave a lot of stud out, and not much in the cylinder body for support..?

jac04
01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Chris-
I'm not quite sure I understand the exact problem. What do you mean by "single threaded studs"? Do you mean that there are threads on one end of the studs only? If so, that's not right (obviously). I also think that you are mixing up bolts with nuts. Studs and bolts are not used together. You can use 2 nuts (not bolts) to install a stud.

Each wheel cylinder should have 2 studs already inserted into the cylinder. If not, then contact whoever you got the cylinders from and get proper replacements. The cylinders I got from our hosts had the studs in them - I just needed to source new lockwashers & nuts.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/100_2269.jpg

chrismccarthy
01-17-2011, 10:32 AM
sorry to confuse, what i meant was the stud is just one thread the whole length. but you are saying that the stud is mounted to the wheel cylinder and the placed onto the backing plate, which means there are no threads to the backing plate? didn't know that, thanks. do i need hardened nuts to go with these studs?

jac04
01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
The nuts don't need to be high strength, but my local hardware store only sells the fine thread nuts in Grade 8 so that's what I used.
There are also seals that go between the wheel cylinders and the backing plates - these are often overlooked.